Sunday, June 24, 2012

Man to man I did it because...

Hi there.  It's June 24th and I finally played that first round of golf!  Note to self.  Next time remember to put the regular putter you use in your bag and take out the extra one your parent uses when he borrowed your set because his clubs were in South Carolina.  Among the many golfing debates is the use of long shafted "belly putters."  I use one and swear by it because I just plain suck when it comes to putting and its more comfortable for my achy breaky back.  Best $7.50 investment I ever made.  I'll tell you that story some other time.
Since I'm on the topic of golf, last weeks U.S. Open was an unfair test for the pros and Webb Simpson won because he was the last man standing after all the other players just caved in.  I've played the Olympic Club on World Golf Tour.  It's a nasty test on my laptop and I'd probably shoot in the 140's if I had to play the course for real.  The16th hole is a 671 yard par 5 from the back tees!  They even moved the tee boxes up 101 yards on Sunday and this monster still played almost 600 yards!
On to other things.  I'll get this one out of the way first.  Congratulations to LeBron James and the Miami Heat for winning the NBA championship.  I'm sorry but no way, no how will I ever concede that LeBron James will go down as the greatest player in NBA history no matter how great his career ends up.
I know the NHL is trying to attract more fans, but the NHL Awards Show from Las Vegas was proof why I never watch any awards show period.  That was a brutal watch.  The hi-light was the F-bomb that Henrik Lundqvist got by the censors when he gave his acceptance speech for winning the award as top goaltender.
The NHL draft came and went and all I know is that every team when they made its first round pick congratulated the LA Kings for winning the Stanley Cup, thanked the people of and the city of Pittsburgh for its hospitality hosting the draft, and said hello to their fans watching at its draft party somewhere.
So the parent club of the Phantoms traded Sergei Bobrovsky and got more picks.  That doesn't solve the problem in net for the Flyers does it.  I was surprised the Flyers even had a first round pick and they didn't trade it away.  Hope the folks in Allentown love those kids.  I don't think we'll be seeing them playing for us anytime soon.
One more draft note.  18 years after Stephane Matteau slipped a puck under Marty Brodeur in Game 7 of the 1994 Stanley Cup semi-finals to win the series in 2 OT for the Rangers, they drafted his son in the first round.  I guess if you can't beat the father, draft the son when he becomes draft eligible. I loved when they asked the son of his memories of that game, he said, "I was 3 months old, its kind of hard to remember anything at that age."
In light of the Roger Clemens and Jerry Sandusky trials and recent verdicts, I've got a good sports story.  Former NY Giants running back Brandon Jacobs who now plays for the 49ers got a letter from a 5 year old fan.  The boy was upset because the Giants couldn't re-sign him.  His mom told him the Giants couldn't afford to sign him. The young man sent a letter to Jacobs at the 49ers offices along with the $3.36 that was in his piggy bank wondering if that was enough for Jacobs to comeback and play for the Giants.  Jacobs was so touched by the kids letter. When he came back to NJ to move his family west; Jacobs took his 5 year old son, the young boy and his 4 year old brother for a day of fun at one of those bounce house places and just played and hung out with him as way of saying thanks.  Jacobs also gave the kid an autographed Giants helmet, jersey and a $5.00 bill for his piggy bank.  We need more Brandon Jacobs out there.  
This weeks sign of the apocalypse:  A woman has filed a lawsuit against an 11 year old boy and his family for $150,000 for a bad throw the kid made during a little league game that injured the woman.
A man living in Ohio has 15 count 'em Miley Cyrus tattoos on his body.  He's either really scary looking or living in somebody's basement and will never have a girlfriend.  If he's married, his wife must be a saint.
Good stuff from our radio station show prep service this week.  The first two come from New Jersey, where in the southern portion of the state, a woman went to the homes of a couple of police officers in the town of Vineland and dropped her pants and mooned them for no reason.  The second is from the the town of Hopatcong where a guy was arrested for calling 911 claiming he was the President and demanded to speak with Tim Tebow.  They found this guy hiding in mommy's closet underneath some pillows.  The last time I did that was when I was 4 years old and I thought there were monsters hiding under the bed.
Finally, about a little more than a year ago I passed on the story of a guy who trashed a bar in Illinois because the bar had a photo Mario Lopez in it.  His reason, "I just don't like Slater!"  I unofficially adopted it as my motto for a lot of my wrong actions.  Why did you say or do that Ken? I could reply, "I just don't like Slater."  Well that unofficial motto has been replaced by this one from a guy in Miami who was arrested for video voyeurism for filming contestants back stage at the Hooters International Swimsuit Pageant.  He had a hidden camera stashed in a unzipped backpack.  His excuse to police, "Man to man, I did it because I've never had a girlfriend."  So if I screw up or say something to hurt or offend someone I might just reply, "Man to man I did or said it because I've never had a girlfriend."  It's the absurdities of life that make writing this blog so much fun!...Leccese out

No comments: