Sunday, August 12, 2012

August 13th is way too early to start football practicen

Hi there.  Tomorrow morning begins that annual seven month ritual for me known as high school sports.  Since WWSC doesn't broadcast spring sports such as baseball, softball, and lacrosse; as soon the Basketball Tournament wraps up at the Civic Center at the end of March, my play by play year ends.  Well the cycle begins again.  Helmets get strapped on for the first time and high school football season officially begins.  Practice without pads for a week.  Then the real stuff happens.  Contact drills, scrimmages on the 24th and 25th; and the first games take place Labor Day weekend.  The broadcast schedule has been released to the local papers and can be found at the radio station pages on Facebook.  Can't wait to take the camera I got last Christmas and take pictures and videos.  I'll head to practices during the second week and of course do the three scrimmages and media day thing like I do every year.
 I listen to a lot of sports talk radio in my spare time and many parents are legitimately afraid of the fear of concussions.  They've become very apprehensive about their sons playing football.   Between the concussions and the Penn State scandal, football has been taking more punches than a heavy bag in a boxing gym.  Look, all sports have a dirty underside to them that people don't see or are aware of.  Football happens to be the sport with the most players on a roster.  The popularity of the game puts it out in the forefront.  I could bring up a rap sheet on every sport, but now is not the time.
You want to know how big high school football is in Texas?  In the Dallas suburb of Allen they built a 60 million dollar football stadium a part of a 120 million dollar bond issue.  18 thousand seats, artificial turf, a 75 by 45 ft high def video scoreboard, 3 tier press box, and luxury boxes.  There are some Division II, III, and 1AA colleges and universities who are jealous of that school.  To top it off, that facility is only the 5th largest high school stadium in the state.
No more football talk, at least for this week.  On to other things.
Waiting for the special padding to come in so the new carpet can finally get installed and I have my bedroom looking like a bedroom again.  All the furniture is out of the room.  The painting is done and looks real good.  Can't wait to hang my lighted "On Air" sign on one of the walls.
Trying to explain my garden to people is like trying to explain the works of famed artist Jackson Pollack. Honestly, I do grow normal things.  I have red tomatoes and green jalapeno peppers growing. I'm also growing yellow and speckled tomatoes.   Green beans come in yellow and purple as well as green.  Zucchini are striped or a lighter shade of green rather than the traditional dark green ones you see at the farmers market or store.  Eggplant are purple with white streaks on them (like if Jackson Pollack splashed paint on them) and the bell peppers are green right now, but will supposedly change color to orange or some other color according to the seed packet.  My potatoes are grown in planter bags on the patio next to the eggplant and peppers.  I'm tried carrots this year and the seed pack I planted had yellow, red, purple and white carrots along with the traditional orange ones.  
So Friday morning before I headed to the radio ranch at 238 Bay Road, I had thought I shut off my laptop.  Turns out I hadn't.  Go to turn it on Saturday night, and it wasn't going on.  The classic Fred G Sanford, "Elizabeth, I can feel it.  It's the big one coming on" heart attack almost happened.  Luckily for me, the battery just needing to be re-charged and not the power source having to be replaced.  We're so dependent on our personal electronic devices.  For most of my friends it's their cell phone or I-pad/kindle/blackberry thing.  Me, its my Compaq Presario A900 wide screen laptop.  It's become like one my close friends or another cousin.
This weeks sign of the apocalypse: A big screen version of the TV Series "ALF" might be in the works. 
I'm reading Mike Lupica's column in the New York Daily News like I do every Sunday morning and this week he wishes Bill Goldman a Happy Birthday.  I would never have known or thought that the same guy who wrote, "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" also wrote "The Princess Bride."
Are the Summer Olympics over yet?...Leccese out.




No comments: