Monday, May 20, 2013

It's tough to win from the inside post position

Hi there.  So here we are on the verge of another 3 day weekend.  Lots to get caught up on.
Leading off is Oxbow winning the Preakness.  Orb finished a disappointing 4th.  I knew the horse was doomed when it drew the inside post position.  Pimlico is a lot different than Churchill  Downs and trying to navigate a skinnier track with tighter turns and the shorter distance made it tough for Joel Rosario to get Orb where he needed to be to compete in the end.
When you're in the business of entertainment or sports, what attracts the casual fans?  Those big names who can get the occasional people that may not be normally interested either watching or listening because of the name factor. Often times I get sick of seeing or hearing about Tiger Woods, LeBron James and Sidney Crosby.  The big name stars in their sports who will attract the occasional fan into watching and drive up the ratings points.  From a loyal sports fan point of view, it makes them out to be bigger than the game itself.
Last month it was Pat Summerall, last week golf lost one its special individuals in Ken Venturi the long time golf analyst for CBS.  He was one a heck of player in his day and came this close to winning 2 Masters championships.
While on the topic of golf, got that first round of year in over the weekend, and for a change I was generally pleased with the results.  Hit the ball off the tee really well and my irons and short game will round into shape.  My putting however is like my luck with members of the opposite sex. Bad, and I struggle with with both, lol.
Mirrors lie, but shadows don't.  After seeing my shadow on the golf course Saturday it meant only one thing.  Three long months of going to the gym, working out as often as possible so I can see less of it.  I might have something coming up towards the end of summer and I want to look my best. 
Ever wake up from a nap and one leg is still asleep?  It can be very painful, but not as painful as  it was when both legs were still asleep like mine were Sunday after taking a nap.
I want to know who were the judges and what was their criteria in choosing Miley Cyrus as #1 on Maxim magazine's hot 100 list?  On a lighter note, it was kind of funny yet sad at the same time when Manti Te'o's made up girlfriend was number 69 on the list.  Can we finally let this kid concentrate on playing football?  I didn't think so.
The SNY network produced a great hour long documentary on the 15 days of the Rutgers football team spring practice.  It was missing one key element and that being with all the controversy surrounding the Mike Rice video and the handling of it followed by the media storm that came on campus, how was it affecting Coach Kyle Flood and his players.  At times it seemed like a recruiting video to show perspective players.
Being a sports radio junkie and now it seems every lettered network has their own syndicated radio sports talk network, if I were the folks at Bristol Tech I would be worried about the programming they put out.  CBS has a better product in many time slots.
The garden is this close to being planted and I've already received a gifted tomato plant from a friend.  Now I have 10 that have to go in and it will be a late start.  I did all this digging in my raised beds the other day only to find out the landscaper is coming and will tear up and rebuilding them. My garden is definitely like Thanksgiving dinner.  You plan to cut back but what happens?  You end up not cutting back but instead cooking, or with the case of my garden growing more.  10 tomato plants instead of 6; and now I've added a 3rd type of potato.  
Finally we have this weeks sign of the apocalypse and credit goes to my sports broadcast partner John Pratt and friend B.M. for pointing this one out.  At last night's Billboard Magazine Music Awards show, Justin Beiber received a Milestone award!  For what?  What's next?  The Kardashian family or Ozzy and Sharon getting the Lifetime Achievement Award for television excellence at the Emmy's?...Leccese out.

No comments: