Monday, April 13, 2009

Thoughts from the broadcast tower overlooking Amen Corner

Hi There. Hope you had a great Easter and after I leave the radio station tonight I'm making a mad dash to find Russell Stover chocolate coconut nests at a discount.
We'll open with The Masters. I was rooting for Kenny Perry to pull it out. After that tee shot on 16 and he tapped in for that 2 shot lead, you thought he had it. I know most people were hoping for Eldrick and Phil to make some amazing charge and they almost did, but Phil starting putting like I do and missed too many easy ones. The other guy I was rooting for was Jim Furyk. Two more observations on the Masters. I wish David Feherty would take that week off. He's like Gary McCord. You expect him to be funny and the Masters doesn't believe in funny. The other is Verne Lundquist. There is no one better during this time of year that starts with the NCAA tournament and ends with the Masters than Verne Lundquist. I would love to pick his brain about doing play by play.
The Stanley Cup play-offs begin Wednesday and the Eastern Conference has 2 great first round match-ups that will be wars. Bruins/Canadiens and Penguins/Flyers. It doesn't get much better than those two. Is there any way Versus or NBC could talk to the folks at Bristol Tech about borrowing Gary Thorne to do some games? I watched him call 2 of the 3 games at the Frozen Four this past weekend. That's what I miss the most about Bristol Tech doing the NHL.
The Mets officially open CitiField against the Padres and Tom Seaver will throw out the ceremonial first pitch just like he threw the last pitch at Shea. Nothing against Mike Piazza, but the only former Mets catcher who should be on the receiving end of a pitch from number 41 is Jerry Grote.
As for the Yankees, Nick Swisher reminds of that Paul O'Neill/Scot Brosius type player that the Bronx Bombers have been missing in their line-up the last couple of years.
Two must watches. Tuesday night Bristol Tech brings back E-60 and Jeremy Schapp does an in depth interview with Vince McMahon from the WWE. Hard to believe but they can do some intelligent stuff over there. The other must watch is a documentary that is currently airing on HBO on the "Thrilla in Manilla." I watched part of it and its brilliant.
One more note from Bristol Tech. Was it turn back the clock night over there Easter Sunday? I saw Chris Berman and John Saunders doing Sports Center.
Big deal, the President got his kids a dog. What's even more disturbing was the furor over VP Joe Biden getting his dog from a breeder. That's right, a certain animal rights organization was upset that the Veep didn't get his new puppy from a shelter. Seriously, some people need to get a life.
This weeks sign of the apocalypse has nothing do with Hannah Montana. Miley Cyrus seems harmless. I'd be more worried if "Achy Breaky Heart" started charting again. No, the latest sign comes from Bravo who brings you "The Real Housewives of New Jersey." I'm not kidding. I am so grateful I escaped when I did. Thanks Dan. I knew a lot of that type growing up and if I had stayed, I might have ended up being married to one of them. I'm getting scared just by the thought of it.
Unfortunately, we have to end on a sad note and that being the loss of Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart. Some idiot who drove with a suspended license gets behind the wheel drunk for the upteenth time, ran a red light and killed three innocent people. Enough is enough. No more lives lost please. When are we as a society going to our tell our fine law enforcement people to finally put the screws to these morons, lock them up and throw away the key. I don't want to read anymore stories about DWI arrests on riding lawn mowers, horses, motorized bar stools or motorized coolers. Its not funny. Its repulsive that's what it is...Monday night comedies on CBS tonight...Leccese out.

No comments: