Sunday, April 5, 2009

2,496 Season Tickets to go and other observations from a fun, busy weekend

Hi There. What a great weekend! You name it, it had it. Let's get the downers out of the way first and those being the shootings in Binghamton and Pittsburgh. I really feel for the families of those people who lost their lives and it's a shame in most cases the freaks who do these despicable acts kill themselves so we don't get a motive, only lots of speculation. 12 people in Binghamton and 3 of Pittsburgh's finest police officers gunned down. It's just wrong, plain wrong.
Now onto to some good news. Ladies and Gentleman, for the first time on Glens Falls Civic Center ice...Here are your Adirondack Phantoms! I can't wait to hear that from Dan or whoever the P.A. announcer will be. Alright, so I don't what the team name will be, but being there Friday night and hearing Senator Schumer tell us the news that the AHL is coming back to the building at the foot of the Glen Street hill has me pumped up. The Brooks Group wants 2,500 season tickets. Tell Mr. Brooks that Ken Leccese is pushing his chips to the center of the table and he can deal me in for 2 season tickets. With Dan thinking of buying 2 as well we need 2,496 more. I told my Dad my plans and I'm looking forward to renewing a certain father/son ritual. The two of us going to a hockey game together just like we did at Madison Square Garden. My Dad shared Rangers' season tickets with two of his friends. Nothing was better than a night in the green seats. At first we'd go on Sunday night and drive into the city to see the games. When I was in high school and college I would take the train on a weeknight from NJ to MSG and meet him for dinner at this one sports bar. The best french fries I've ever had anywhere was at this place. Combine that with the killer bacon cheeseburger I always got; I was in heaven and if the Rangers won, that made for one hell of a great night.

I want to thank everybody for another great Bowl For Kids Sake. Team 'CKM and Dan's family combined to raise over 2,200 dollars. We had a blast and we always do. It's a fun event and we get to relax and let loose. If you want to know, my high game was 161 so I raised an extra 161 dollars for Big Brothers/Big Sisters. I knew I could get a 150, but it didn't come easy. I was sweating bullets toward the end of that second game. Mikey found his groove and was spanking me big time. I'd keep looking up at the scoreboard and getting more nervous. He ended up bowling a 167 for that second game. Nice going Ladies Man. Well back to me. A bowlers' ultimate frustration is throwing a great first ball, and not getting that extra pin carry and always leaving a 1 pin spare because the pin seemed nailed to the lane. I had a lot those. I get to the 10th frame needing 8 pins for 150. I appealed to the bowling gods claiming they owed me one and they delivered with a strike and 9 count to put me over the top.

I managed to watch some of the Mets and Yankees exhibition games over the weekend partially out of curiosity to see what the new ballparks look like and I'd rather go to the new Yankee Stadium than Citi Field. At least Yankee Stadium honors the history of the team that plays in it. Remember, I'm a loyal Mets fan who is true to the orange and blue, but I've also written on more than one occasion that I'm not a fan of the Amazin's new digs. I truly hate it. Citi Field is a waist of the 800 million dollars it cost to build the place.

Speaking of the Yankees, Hal Steinbrenner admitted that the Bronx Bombers might have over priced some of the seats in the new ball orchard in the South Bronx. When did that conclusion finally occur? After you got hit in the head by a stray foul ball off the bat of Cody Ransom?

Another revelation occurred Friday when the Giants finally released Harris Smith, I mean Plaxico Burress. My brother-in-law Mike was right about Plax.

Note to Jay Cutler. Hope you enjoy playing in Soldier Field in November and December when its cold and the wind starts howling off Lake Michigan and your only weapon is Devin Hester. All you had to do was make nice with new coach Josh McDaniel and instead you cried saying you were disrespected and wanted a trade. Who'd you consult with on the tantrum? Terrell Owens.

Has there really been 25 Wrestlemania's? I stopped counting after "Rowdy" Roddy Piper fought Mr. T.

Finally onto the Final Four. Impressive wins for both Michigan State and North Carolina. I'm going with the Spartans to win it in 30 years after Earvin Johnson and Greg Kelser were too much for Larry Bird and the Indiana State Sycamores. CBS does a great job with the tournament and Greg Anthony has done phenomenal job working with Greg Gumbel, but I miss Billy Packer working with Jim Nantz.

One more thing, the Kentucky Derby is about a month away and I've already got a horse that I like. I Want Revenge. He won the Wood Memorial Saturday. I'll have to get in touch in Kyle Brownell to see if he's legit...Leccese out.

No comments: