Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Christmas in July has arrived

Hi there. Its been a while since I wrote a Wednesday entry, but so much has happened in so little time. Where to start?
How about a double dose of this weeks sign of the apocalypse. G-Force, a movie about guinea pigs as spies was number one at the box off beating Harry Potter; and Bubbles the chimp maybe on a hunger strike. Boy, it doesn't get much better than those two right there to get things rolling.
Has the soap opera, "As the Brett Favre Turns" really come to an end now that he told the Vikes he isn't coming back after all? Stay tuned. A third sequel maybe in the works. Brett do us all a favor. Sign a one day contract with Green Bay and officially announce your retirement as a Packer.
I think it would be in the best interest of Michael Vick to lay low for a while and not return to the NFL. Right now even you're still a freak among the side show acts at the circus.
Onto my favorite baseball team the New York Mess...I mean Mets. Tony Bernazard's firing was long overdue. He's smart guy, but his fiery personality at times is what the Mets need on the field. He needs to go to charm school for some lessons on tact. As for Adam Rubin, Omar Minaya shouldn't have called him out like that during the press conference. His choice of words was a train wreck and he used really poor judgement. The foundation is crumbling around Omar's tenure as GM. Shame its not CitiField's foundation that's crumbling. Sorry SK, I know you went to see Paul McCartney there and told me how great the place is, but I'll never be convinced.
I haven't talked about the Phantoms lately, but with Greg Gilbert being named head coach it seemed like a good time. Solid choice. Besides, how can I not like a guy who played for the 1994 Stanley Cup champion Rangers. The schedule breakdown is fine although I would have liked to seen that extra home game from the Atlantic division go to either Portland, Providence, or Hartford and not Bridgeport.
Today is Christmas in July. Start of Saratoga season. I talked to Kyle Brownell for a few minutes and I told him it doesn't get any better than this. He agreed. It's a good time if you're a horse racing fan. You got Del Mar going on in California, Mine that Bird will run Saturday in the West Virginia Derby at Mountaineer. The Haskell at Monmouth featuring Rachel Alexandra and Summer Bird on Sunday. I was telling Dan one thing was missing to make it even better for me. Football. I'm starting to get that itch to do a high school game or least watch some football. I'll have to look for some CFL or Aussie Rules games on the tube to hold me over til NFL pre-season or the start of college football.
If you plan on making a donation to one of our staff members who will be driving in the go-cart race on August 18th, give it to either Dan or Dave Thomas. Thanks.
The Princeton Review name Union College number 13 on its top party schools list. Alright Dutchmen! Next thing you know they'll be calling it a jock school.
Three days til weigh in at the gym and the measuring cups have been working overtime. Between the measuring and drinking all that water, I feel like an amateur wrestler trying to make weight for a match.
One last reminder. If you go to the track, don't bet on the steeplechases or the 2 year old filly first time starter races. Hope you cash 'em and not trash 'em...Leccese out.

No comments: