Monday, November 1, 2010

A sense of emptiness and other observations

Hi there. Well another season of high school football on the Mighty 1450 WWSC has ended. It was an interesting year to say the least. Thanks to all the coaches for the help as always. I don't have the same enthusiasm for the upcoming high school basketball and hockey seasons that I do for football season. As soon as the school year ends in June, I start thinking about the schedule of games we will do on the air and waiting in anticipation for that first practice in August.
A couple of notes on that last game we did Thursday night. Those orange numbers could be hard to see at times on the black jerseys that Schuylerville wears. I got to give Greg O'Connor credit, there was about 3 or 4 times during the game where his quarterback had me totally fooled on the ball fakes. In fact on the second play from scrimmage, the refs were fooled as well and they blew the whistle thinking the play had stopped when in fact the Schuylerville QB pitched the ball to the other back and was running down the sideline for a touchdown. I also noticed that both teams were well aware of the others' return game on kick-offs.
Another perfect 2 for 2 weekend on the upset specials. Tulsa knocked off Notre Dame and the Pack beat the Jets. so after a horrible 2 and 9 start, in the past 4 weeks I'm a smoking hot 7 for 8.
Pondering the Notre Dame tragedy. Forget about the 50 mph winds for just a second. Why was the kid 50 feet in the air in the first place? Did he really have to be that high up to film practice? Practice, we're talking about practice.
Loved the throwback unis worn by the Patriots and Calgary Flames this past weekend.
How come whenever the Dallas Cowboys' new stadium is talked about, it is often referred to as "Jerry Jones' 1.1 billion dollar Taj Mahal or football palace."? Maybe I've missed hearing it during a broadcast, but the New Meadowlands Stadium cost 5oo million dollars more to build than Jerry's place and whenever the Giants or Jets play at home I never hear the place referred to as, "The 1.6 billion dollar facility that John Mara, Steve Tisch and Woody Johnson built."
Anytime the Cowboys have a bad year like the one they are having this year, I think of my favorite Wellington Mara quote, "It's nice to see arrogance humbled."
Watching Brett Favre sadly reminds me of seeing Johnny Unitas when he played his last year for the Chargers or Joe Namath with the Rams.
My gut feeling is that the majority of Mets fans' like Sandy Alderson accepting the job as the Amazin's GM, but he won't survive in New York.
The World Series is great feel good match up between the Giants and Texas Rangers. Unfortunately feel good match-ups don't drive television ratings, which are down 25 percent.
When I go to a sporting or any event at the Civic Center, I go to relax and have a good time. I don't want to be bombarded by protesters or volunteers for candidates running for political office telling me I should support their man or woman as I'm approaching or entering the building. Take the hint. Go away!
The Civic Center had an almost too nice feel to it Saturday night. Who ever thought that any visit by the Rochester Americans would have that. I used to love when the Amerks would come and play the Redwings. A couple Booster Club buses filled with their fans and that, "We hate you and you hate us" play-off type atmosphere no matter time of year it was.
More on the Phantoms. You want to why attendance is down. A few thoughts. The team isn't very good and sorry all you Greg Gilbert haters, its not completely his fault! Also, who thought up the ticket price structure. The seats behind the goal should be the cheapest in the building, not the second most expensive. Also, could the on ice promotions people return the "Chuck a Puck" contest to between the second and third periods instead of it taking place after the game.
I like Phlex as a mascot. Anything is better than Chilly.
I hope that animal rights group doesn't get their pants up in a bunch over that clip of Zenyatta's trainer giving her a beer as part of her lunch on the "60 minutes" feature done about her last night.
We're in a economic recession and I wonder if some unions really know that.
Note to the editor of the PostStar. I'll start voting when I hear a candidate talk to me about the issues that matter to me and want to do something about them with reasonable, common sense solutions. Just like that female whom I would like to go out with, I haven't met one yet...Leccese out.

No comments: