Friday, November 26, 2010

Thoughts of giving thanks and upset specials

Hi there. Well I survived another holiday unscathed. My giving of thanks later on. Upset specials first. Last week another 1 for 2 weekend. Win on Oregon State, lose on the Broncs. Now for the this weeks'. In the alternate universe known as, "Leccese Bizarro World" tomorrow's Michigan/Ohio State game would end in a scoreless tie with no overtime. Well in the real world someone has to win. My college upset special is the Wolverines knocking off those annoying Buckeyes. Now for the pro, some interesting match ups and for some unknown reason I like the Panthers over the Browns. Plus one more for you. In honor of the Canadian Football League final this weekend its the, "Pete Tobey" upset special. Love the Saskatchewan Roughriders over the Montreal Alouettes. Pete is the high school football writer for the Post Star and he does a great job. He also happens to be a CFL fan like me. Sorry about your Stamps, Pete.
Here was the only football score I truly cared about yesterday. Middletown South 20, Middletown North 7. Go Eagles!
There's a part of me would love to make the trip the Hartford on Sunday to see the Phantoms play against the team formally known as the Hartford Wolfpack now known as the Connecticut Whale.
I've been asked by family members what I want for Christmas this year. I've said nothing. There is nothing I really want or need.
I kind of felt sorry for the Mets. On the day they announce Terry Collings as their new manager, the Yankees still managed to steal the back pages of all the NYC tabloids over the Derek Jeter negotiations. If I were the Metropolitans, let 'em have it and just go about your business under the big radar that is the Bronx Bombers. Fix the ship Sandy, and win some games. Then they'll notice.
I know its been a year since Eldrick's fall from grace, so please stop harping on him for not really telling us the truth. It's nobody's business but his.
If there was a mental condition called, "clinical frustration" I'd be the poster child for it and visit a therapist and ask for prescription medication with minimal side effects to combat the malady.
Everybody has been asking me what's going on with Dan. Here's what happened. We'll all know about his high blood pressure scare. Well the combination of the medicine he's been taking along with the stress involved affected him to the point where it made him ill and he needed to take some time off. He's been feeling a lot better and is this close to coming back. Trust me, we all miss him. I found a photo of the two of us that was taken 20 years ago horsing around on the ice after a Redwings game. We weren't making a lot of money and we didn't know any better. There are moments when I think I was better off then, than I am now as I look out at the 25 thousand dollar SUV I bought 3 months ago and I go over my 401K with my Dad.
Finally, I'm thankful for an understanding family and group of friends who make me feel like I belong, although in most cases I don't. I'm thankful that in a time where the economy is down and hasn't yet rebounded, the company I work for has bucked the trend and been successful. I'm also thankful to live in a country although far from perfect, is better than an overwhelming majority of the places. Remember this quote from Phil McConkey, "The Grass is always greener my a--." Leccese out.

No comments: