Sunday, December 9, 2012

Apparently I dislike Christmas and other random thoughts

Hi there. So its like 16 days til Christmas and I'm still waiting for "Gift Card" Thursday to take place.  It's black Friday and cyber Monday for those like me who will give cash loaded gift cards to family and friends as gifts that way they can pick out whatever they want.  
The other day I'm taking care of a personal errand so my head wouldn't look like the Morning Clubs' hosts who's name isn't Dan.  I have a conversation with someone and the subject of the holidays was brought up.  At one point during the conversation, this person says to me, "You don't like Christmas, do you?"  That stung.  I do like Christmas.  I like what it stands for and the spiritual meaning behind it.  I love doing nice things for my family and small group of friends with no strings attached.  I want to do that more often just because, not because a date on the calendar says so.  Occasionally I'll bake something for the Tuesday morning Combat class I take as a post workout reward and to enjoy their company more with nothing wanted back in return.  Here's what I don't like about Christmas.  Turning my house upside down and decorating it from December 1st through January 6th and then having to take the stuff down.  I hate the company Christmas party.  I have never liked them.  I find them pointless and kind of boring.  When I'm not there Friday night, you'll know why.  It's nothing personal.  As for Christmas music, it's great in small doses.  Luckily the powers that be on Hits 95 Nine and 98 Five CKM agree with me.  Especially since there are 3 radio stations that are playing nothing but the stuff 24/7 through New Years.
A big thanks to everyone for adopting 845 children through our Adopt a Child Program.  If you still like to help out with a donation, send your check to: Operation Santa Claus P.O. Box 707 Hudson Falls NY 12839.  Thursday and Friday is the annual charity auction on Dan and Pete's show.  Great items will be up for bid.  
One more Christmas thing before I move on.  Can someone who is a parent with kids explain to me this whole, "Elf on a Shelf" thing?  The never married with no kids, and has always been single middle age guy is totally out of the loop and has no clue what it is.
More serious stuff to talk about.  Last Sunday night Bob Costas at half time of the Cowboys/Eagles game talked about the need for stricter gun control laws after the Jovan Belcher crimes.  Of course those who disagreed with Bob spoke out wanting him fired for speaking out against the 2nd amendment at inappropriate time.  Since it was a league player who did it, the timing was appropriate.  The other network football shows sort of handled it with kid gloves or brushed it under the rug.  So what should have been seen or talked about?  Hi-lights with lame commentary by Dan Patrick? Over analysis and second guessing by ex coaches and players?   Obscure fantasy stats, or those token shots of the Cowboy cheerleaders in the skimpy outfits on sideline?
Roger Goodell wants to cut down on injuries in the game of football by eliminating kickoffs?  Did he see the hit on the winning td in overtime of the Bears/Seahawks game?  Note to the commish.  Stop sniffing the dry erase markers or sharpie pens in your spare time.
Kate Middleton is with child now (maybe I'll get an invite to the Jack and Jill baby shower) and due to a case of severe morning sickness was hospitalized earlier this week.  A couple of Australian radio "personalities" (and I use the term loosely) decided to call the hospital and as a prank pretend to be members of the royal family and get an update on her condition and then tell the nurse who they were talking to that they would be coming over.  A couple of days later, the nurse took her own life.  Talk about a couple of bridge trolls and that's insulting to bridge trolls.  The stations' manager says they'll only be suspended.  They feel bad about what they did and have apologized.  Not good enough!  Makes me ashamed of my profession.
This weeks sign of the apocalypse comes from Fox where Terrell Owens, J-Woww and other b-list celebrities will compete on that great reality tv show coming to the small screen: Stars in Danger!  The High Dive.
In a recent poll 30 percent of men believe that erectile dysfunction is caused by wearing skinny jeans!  I'm not making this one up and I have my own theories on that one.
From the, "I want one of those for Christmas, too" category.  San Diego millionaire Marc Paskin put up a billboard stating all he wanted for Christmas was a Latina girlfriend.  Put me down for one as well Marc, unfortunately Shakira and Sofia Vergara are spoken for.
Finally I may not like going to the company Christmas party, but the cookie swap thing is in this batters wheel house.  I'll bring mini red velvet whoopie pies with cream cheese filling...Leccese out. 




No comments: