Thursday, September 19, 2013

Catching up and the return of "Opie's Upset Specials!"

Hi there. Finally found some time to write a new entry.  First we begin with a football season tradition that started some 17 years ago when I did Sunday morning's at another radio station. "Opie's Upset Specials."  Each week I pick one college and one pro upset game straight up, with no point spread involved.  First for the college upset special where I'll go to State College, Pa and see the Nittany Lions of Penn State lose to the Kent State Golden Flashes from the MAC. For the first pro upset special, I like the Cardinals beating the Saints who are a totally different team away from the Super Dome.
Staying on the topic of football comes the choice of Bruno Mars to be the half-tme entertainment for this years' Superbowl in the Meadowlands.  Solid choice.
I know the NFL is really pushing the safety/anti concussion thing, but not allowing teams to wear throwback uniforms with different helmets because they are unsure the helmets are safe is being a little too nit picky.  Come on Roger, us hardcore NFL fans need to see Buccaneer Bruce and Pat Patriot make a return appearance at least once a year.
One more football note and I'll move on.  There are 3 sports documentaries I would highly recommend.  Showtime has a new one on Lawrence Taylor. NBC Sports Network produced a great one on Earl Campbell the former Houston Oilers running back; but the best comes from HBO on the life of Marty Glickman who is the big redwood tree when it comes to sports play by play.  He was that influential and a pioneer of the way sports is called on radio and television.  He also was an outstanding football player at Syracuse and an Olympic sprinter who made the 1936 Olympic team that went to Berlin, Germany  Glickman and Sam Stoller were taken off the U.S. 400 meter relay team because they were Jewish and no one wanted to offend Hitler.  Find a way to watch this one.
Sending props out to the Boston Red Sox for the classy ceremony and the cool gifts they bestowed upon Mariano Rivera last Sunday night before his last game at Fenway.  The portrait and pitching rubber from the visitors bullpen were nice, but the best was the #42 placard from the Green Monster scoreboard.  I would want one of those for my bedroom wall.  Even better than the gold record of "Enter Sandman" that the Indians gave Mariano from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
With the fall tv schedule upon us I noticed Will Arnett is trying his hand again at another sitcom.  This time on CBS following "Bing Bang Theory" and it co-stars Beau Bridges who I've heard of and some actress who I guess everyone has heard of except me of course.
Bill Engvall and Bill Nye the Science Guy on Dancing with the Stars?  Must have reached the bottom of the list of male possibilities.  Tom Bergeron, here's your sign.  The only reason anyone is going to watch is to see Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi.
I watch Fox Cable News on occasion in the morning and they have this stable of very intelligent female news hosts, readers, correspondents...whatever you want to call them.  Oh by the way they also happen to be very attractive blondes as well.  So how come when they replaced the female host of their "Fox and Friends" morning show, the best they could find was Elizabeth Hasselbeck from. "The View."  Personally I think they should have promoted from within the company.
On a lighter note, why do I keep get e-mails from someone named Adrian?.  Who the heck is she?  I know its spam with some stupid virus attached that only a fool would open.  She probably is a dude who looks just like the actor who is in those creepy credit card commercials who answers the phone with, "Hi, this Peggy. How may I help you?"
Finally after I was done with the football game that we broadcast on WWSC from Granville last Saturday afternoon, I made the first cider and donuts run on the way home.  Got the cider and also a bag of maple cotton candy.  That long wait in the donut line was worth it.  The smell of that warm dozen in the bag that sat along side me in the front passenger seat was intoxicating.  Yeah I noshed on one or two driving back.  If you can resist, you're lying to me especially if you're a parent with kids.  Resistance is futile.  Now here's an idea. Make of those air fresheners you hang in your car with the scent of apple cider and apple cider donuts.  Enjoy the weekend and by the way fall officially begins Sunday...Leccese out.




No comments: