Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Getting to be the cool uncle, going back in time and other weekend observations

Hi There. Well it was a long weekend to say the least. Had a family reunion in Rhode Island Saturday as we celebrated my uncle's 90th birthday. The trip was nice and uneventful, but I have to know why Exit 11 and 11a on the Mass Turnpike are 12 miles a part. While on I-495 heading towards Providence, I passed the town of Franklin which besides being the home of Garelick Farms Dairy is where I got my start in this crazy business. WGAO Power 88.3 FM Dean College radio. It's 125 watts and not your typical college radio station. It was and still is a class rock station. Tuned in and listened for about half an hour. Brought back some memories. Boy how the time flies. On the way back home I stopped off and drove through town and around the campus. Not much had changed. The rest of the weekend I got to be Uncle Kenny. My sister and niece came in from NC for the family reunion and to spend a couple of days with my parents and me. Morgan is almost 3 years old and she's pretty sharp for a little kid. I'd like to think I'm a cool uncle. You know, the one that always plays games and does things like coloring pictures and blowing bubbles. I watched a couple of kiddie shows on Nick Jr. that confused me. "Max and Ruby" who are a couple of rabbits, and the "Wonder Pets". Talk about putting Morgan in a hypnotic trance. We also went to Magic Forest and rode the rides and fed the goats and sheep. It's interesting to see her with my parents. I knew my Mom would be great, but my Dad has surprised me. He really enjoys playing with her and teaching her things on the computer. On to more pressing things. Sorry Pack fans, I am sick of the soap opera that is becoming,"As the Brett Favre Turns." Just give Aaron Rodgers the keys to the offense, please! Come on Cheeseheads get on with your lives. Can you believe the Mets have won 9 straight. I know 6 of those wins have come against bottom feeders like the Rockies and Giants. Dan Warthen is my new hero the way he's worked with the pitching staff, especially Big Pels and Aaron Heilmann. As I said in the past Bubbles the Chimp would have made a better pitching coach than Rick Peterson. So there's a "Hell's Kitchen" video game in the works complete with Gordon Ramsey's obnoxious voice. I like the guy, he's nothing like the television persona he plays on any of his shows. I still think an "Iron Chef" video game with Japanese commentators and the English voice-overs would be funnier. The summer box office champ will officially hit theaters Friday. The latest Batman movie, "The Dark Knight." Bobby Murcer lost his fight with brain cancer over the weekend. Life doesn't always deal you a fair hand I guess...Leccese out.

No comments: