Thursday, July 17, 2008

Midweek Musings

Hi There. I woke up this morning, sat in my favorite chair and watched my favorite of golf's majors: The British Open or The Open Championship as they like to call it on the other side of the big pond while eating breakfast and reading the Post Star. Since I don't want to let the Leccese curse out of Pandora's box, I'm not picking a winner. I once wrote in a previous edition of this blog that one of the five things I have on my bucket list is to play a round of golf on one of those courses. Links golf is a different animal. The elements, course layout and having to play shots that you normally wouldn't try on the well groomed places that we play here is intriguing to me. I've played a links course on Fripp Island in SC and it was awesome! What was memorable was playing the last hole which was on the beach and as I was chipping from the back of the green, my brother-in-law told me to step back and look to my right. This group of dolphins were jumping out of the water. You don't see that around here. Maybe the occasional fox or some other woodland creature but a dolphin, I don't think so.
Speaking of dolphins, a school of them have decided to take a sight seeing tour of the Jersey Shore and make their way up the Navesink and Shrewsbury Rivers. Trust me there is not much to see, but the blue crabs are pretty good.
We are all sick of the the soap opera known lovingly as, "As the Brett Favre Turns" but another story in the NFL caught my attention. The situation with the Rooney family and the Pittsburgh Steelers. Apparently the team is equally owned by the 5 sons of the late Art Rooney Sr, and 4 of them want to sell. From what I've read the brothers are involved in owning horse and dog racing tracks which the NFL frowns on. Dan Rooney wants to buy the shares from his brothers so the team stays in the family. However, an agreement on a selling price is not going well and there is someone who wants to buy them for some serious money. I hope something can be worked out.
Between the racing season at Saratoga and the Super Bowl Champion Giants (Sorry Dan) training at UAlbany, the next six weeks are looking pretty good to me.
Billy Joel played the final concerts at Shea Stadium. Don't get me wrong, I like Billy Joel, but Paul McCartney doing the honor would have been more appropriate since the Beatles played Shea twice during the 1960's.
Just read that Brett Michaels broke up with the winner of "Rock of Love 2" and a third one is in the works. John Pratt over at the sister station says it best about Brett Michaels. "Why would he need help finding women?"
Remember the go-cart race is coming up Tuesday...Leccese out.

No comments: