Monday, July 7, 2008

My Achy Breaky Back and other Weekend Observations

Hi There. There's nothing better than having back spasms to ruin a persons weekend and they put a damper on mine. I tried playing golf Saturday and my cranky back affected my game. I popped a couple of Advil like they were M&M's after playing 9 holes. It didn't help. When it comes to the July 4th, I'm starting to rank it up there with celebrating the New Year. I'm not into it. Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful that my ancestors came to the U.S. from Europe to make a better life for themselves. I am also fortunate to live in a country that respects an individuals rights and freedoms. I'm also not into fireworks. They used to only be shot off on July 4th, now its seems they are everywhere. When Brian and I were broadcasting the Lumberjacks on WWSC, I dreaded fireworks nights. They always drew big crowds so you could never leave the ballpark as soon as the post game show was over. You'd get stuck in the after game traffic. Sometimes it was worse than a rain delay. Speaking of rain delays, what the h-e-double hockey sticks were the umps at yesterday's Mets/Phils game thinking? The rain started in the bottom of the eighth inning with the Mets up 1 to 0. It goes on for 2 hours and 50 minutes and they didn't call it. The game started at 1:30 in the afternoon and finally wrapped up 7 hours later! Good for the Brew Crew getting C.C. Sabathia from Cleveland for some prospects and a Bernie Brewer Bobble Head doll. You go Milwaukee. I really hate the Chicago Cubs and anytime the Fuzzy Cubbies lose, it's a good thing. Speaking of the Cubs, the NHL has decided that the next Outdoor Classic will be held at the friendly confines of Wrigley Field. Here's one hockey fan that won't be watching. Speaking of classic ballparks, sad to hear that Tiger Stadium finally succumbed to the wrecking ball. Mitch Albom was lamenting about it Sunday on Bristol Tech. WKRP in Cincinnati has finally made it to DVD and I picked up the first season last week. Great show. It was probably the most accurate portrayal of what goes on at a radio station. The new season of "No Reservations" begins tonight on the Travel Channel at 10pm. Anthony Bourdain is the "man." He's up there with Les Stroud the dude from "Survivorman" and Mike Rowe from "Dirty Jobs." Week One of the HS Football season is in 60 days...Leccese out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Ken, I noticed you recognized Mike Rowe as being "the man" with a few other guys. That's cool... Dirty Jobs is a great show!

I want to give you a heads up on the upcoming special that will be airing on July 29th, Tuesday, at 9PM. Mike Rowe will be following the quest for the mysterious Greenland Shark. If you want more info, check out the website:

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/sharkweek/sharkweek.html

You can also contact me for more info... I work with Discovery and have the inside scoop. By the way, I hope you don't mind me contacting you like this. I just wanted to fill you in on the special and Shark Week in general (which starts with a brand new Mythbusters on Sunday, July 27th at 9PM). Have a great day.

Shawn Grover
shawngrover2008@gmail.com