Monday, August 4, 2008

Cold Eggplant Parm and other Weekend Observations

Hi There. Welcome to another edition of The Greenhouse Effect where we are officially a "Brett Favre" free zone. Sorry Cheeseheads. Saturday was Old Timers day at Yankee Stadium and it was great to see 78 former players who at one point in their career called the Big Ball Orchard in the South Bronx home. Very rarely does Michael Kay anger me but he did when he introduced Willie Randolph. I'm glad that Willie showed up and got a great ovation. I never blamed him for the Mets mediocrity through the first months of the season. The "Once a Yankee, Always a Yankee" jab at the Mets though p---ed me off. I hope Howie Rose gets even when Darryl Strawberry and David Cone get introduced at some pre-game ceremony at Shea. Howie put this one in your book and use it in the future, you have my permission: "First a Met, and Forever a Met." and stick it to Mr Centerstage. I feel better now. I don't need to vent anymore. Had the opportunity to go to a friends' home for a barbecue this weekend. There is nothing better than good food, good beverages and good company. Unfortunately I made the mistake of bringing an entree that needed to be warmed up. Eggplant Parm is not a dish served best cold. I knew I should have gone the dessert way. Caught Big Brown Sunday in the Haskell at Monmouth. I thought he did fine, but all the so-called experts think he's not right. He ran a good race for a horse that was coming off a two month layoff. Horse racing is so desperate for a star to appear and peak the casual fans interest. Now the debate on the thoroughbred scene is the racing surface of the main track. Go natural or with a Polytrak type surface. I know in California and Kentucky they use it. Speaking of artificial surfaces if you get a chance, drive by Glens Falls High School. The new football field is almost finished and its looking real good. The press box is up and I've been trying to figure out where we will be broadcasting from. The dedication of Putt LaMay field is September 13th and WWSC will be there. I have to go now and cash my winning ticket from the Haskell...Leccese out.

No comments: