Sunday, August 17, 2008

I have a gardening boner and other weekend observations

Hi There. There is something wonderful about not being married and not having a steady girlfriend. Look I'm not afraid of making a commitment. I'm just picky so sue me and what I'm looking for in a female companion doesn't exist in real life. I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from. Yesterday was one of those rare days you get to enjoy on occasion. Didn't have anything really to do except enjoy it at a medium pace. Headed to the farmer's market to check out the harvest. As a foodie and a home gardener I was in sensory overload. Or maybe it was the cup of Green Tea I had for breakfast or the free coffee I sampled at the market. I try to avoid caffeine if possible. Picked up some fresh local eggs laid by chickens named Lola, Lilly, Leslie and Lolita. There names were in the egg carton. I also bought a delicious local cheese that tasted like Swiss. After I got done running around, I was inspired to check out my own garden and do some harvesting. I thought I would wait another 2 weeks, but I saw something coming out of the ground and lets just say I have about 4 pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes. Let's see between the artisan cheese and home grown potatoes, can you say Potato Gratin. Slowly by surely the slackers in the garden are joining the harvest. You know, peppers and tomatoes. Even the eggplant is growing finally.
Considering the people who have passed away lately namely Isaac Hayes, Mayor Akins, and Skip Caray, I find myself talking about another death of some sort. If you ever watched the YES network from 1 to 6pm weekday afternoons it aired WFAN's "Mike and Mad Dog" radio program. There are also times you can get WFAN's radio signal on your car or home radio up here pretty clear. Thursday Chris "Mad Dog" Russo decided to leave the show and the station after 19 years. Whether it was a new challenge that he needed or the 3 million dollars he will get from doing satellite radio, as much as I disliked Mr Russo, I was saddened by his decision. I really don't think we'll ever find out the truth of what really happened. One thing is for sure, Mike and Chris were good at what they did. You didn't have to agree with them or even like them as personalities, but they kept you listening. That's the basic formula of good radio.
After reading Brian's blog the other day I've decided to add a few observations of my own. With the Washington County Fair this week, I have to wonder can you go to the fair and eat healthy? My favorite sno-cone is one that has more than one flavor on it. My favorites are Grape and Lime. I'm rooting for the Great Lakes team to win the Little League World Series. Now that Michael Phelps has won his 8 gold medals, will anyone continue watch the Olympics? With all the talented basketball players in this country, how come we can't find 15 or 20 of them to play team handball? I like Hunt's ketchup better than Heinz. If Adam West appears on "Dancing with the Stars" will he teach his partner "The Batoosie" I hope so. Ben and Jerry's "Strawberry Cheesecake" Ice Cream tastes just like those Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream bars without the stick. Julia Child worked as a spy during WWII? Golf Magazine released a list of the top 100 courses you can play. I noticed in the top 5 the cheapest rate was $70.00. No one should have to pay more than $50.00 cart included to enjoy a round of golf at a quality course. My six month sabbatical is coming to an end. High School football has arrived. Remember I like Grape and Lime on my sno-cone...Leccese out.

No comments: