Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Squash, the gift that keeps on giving and other weekend observations

Hi There. What does warm, humid, rainy weather mean? It means an explosion of squash in the garden. Zucchini, Butternut, and Yellow squash ready for the picking. I picked two butternut squashes and they weighed in around 3 pounds a piece! Why can't my eggplant grow like that? Everything else in the garden is looking real good. Tomatoes and peppers starting to ripen. The only thing I don't know about are the potatoes for the obvious reason. I'll dig up one of the plants Labor Day weekend and see if anything grew. The vines are looking good, so maybe that's a sign.
On to other matters. If you root against your country in an Olympic event, does that make you un-patriotic? Sorry but I want to see the Men's Basketball team lose and finish without a medal. I don't like Kobe, LeBron, and Coach K so I hope they go down in flames big time.
Speaking of going down in flames, has anyone smelled the smoke from the Mets bullpen. I think they should give the starting rotation some of their salaries to pay the therapists they see after watching their teammates blow lead after lead.
I can't believe 11 thousand people showed up to watch Brett " Guess what! I'm a J-E-T now" Favre practice. They even cheered him when he ran a lap around the practice field. The demand for his number 4 Jets jersey was so great that the websites where you can order them crashed. Maybe I'll get one after I'm done polishing Eli's Superbowl ring for him. Hey Dan want a Brett Favre jersey? It would look real good on your cats scratching post. What's that? You want two of them. One for each cat.
If you haven't noticed, the past 2 years Padraig Harrington has won 3 of the 8 major golf tournaments: 2 British Opens and now the PGA Championship which they set up like a U.S. Open course. What was up with that? By the way how many has Eldrick won during this time?
The so-called "experts" are picking West Virginia to win the Big East football championship. They also have this love affair with the Pitt Panthers. I have no idea why? Dave Wannstedt has done some good recruiting, but nothing's happened. This "expert" is picking South Florida. The Bulls are young, fast and well coached by Jim Leavitt. George Selvie should be a top 10 pick in next years NFL draft and Matt Grothe is the best QB in the conference. I think he's better than Pat White and the Mountaineers will miss Coach "Hail to the Victors" Rodriguez and Steve Slaton more than everybody thinks. The same applies to Rutgers. You don't lose a stud like Ray Rice and 3 of his offensive lineman and expect to contend. Mike Teel has a nice group of receivers, but who's gonna protect him? He'll be scrambling more than Donovan McNabb. I think both UConn and Cincinnati over achieved last year and Louisville is on a downward cycle. As for the 'Cuse, well basketball practice starts October 15th.
The field for the Travers is shaping up to be very competitive without Big Brown. I'm heading out to buy a battery powered blow dryer, then go to the track to offer my services and help dry out the turf course...Leccese out.

1 comment:

WCKM Morning Club said...

You need a blow dryer for what? I'm glad you said it was for the track.