Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Groundhog saw his shadow. Six More weeks of winter, yeah right. It's more like 8 to 10 weeks.

Hi There. Depending on where you were, the groundhog either saw his shadow or didn't. The ones in Pennsylvania and Ohio saw shadows, and the ones in Staten Island and Georgia didn't see them. Nothing has been resolved. Besides, what moron came up with the idea to wake up a hibernating rodent and make a weather prediction out of it? What were you thinking? The groundhog had to wake up sooner or later to go to the bathroom? New York mayor Michael Bloomberg got bit by the one in Staten Island. The fact that they have wildlife other than big grey squirrels in Staten Island caught me off guard.
The Superbowl was O.K., nothing special except for the fourth quarter. I thought the Steelers played scared and made enough plays to win the game. When you have no rooting interest for either team, you watch with a different perspective. Also I thought the commercials were O.K. Nothing stood out. I think the Clydesdale ads have run their course. The NFL needs to come up with a better idea for its half-time show. Bruce Springsteen was adequate. I was so glad he didn't play, "Born in the U.S.A." When you have so much material to choose from and have only 12 minutes it makes it hard to trim down a set list. I watch the Superbowl for the football, not to see a show of patriotism and reaffirmation of our country's values. We have enough holidays to do that for us. On that note, I didn't need to hear Faith Hill sing.
So Michael Phelps took a bong hit. Big Deal. You win 8 gold medals, you're entitled to one free pass and he's just used it. I'm upset that the person who took the photo made some serious money selling it to the newspaper and that paper published it to begin with. George Orwell was right in the novel,"1984." Big Brother is indeed watching you and it comes in the form of a camera you have in your cell phone.
I'm not sure what to make of the woman in California who just gave birth to octuplets. That's right she gave birth to 8 kids and she has 6 others. Plus she's a single mom. We are finding out more and more about her and something doesn't seem right with the whole thing. Where was the accountability in all this?
One good thing about Joe Torre's new book. The excerpts generated enough buzz that at least I didn't have deal with Mets fans begging management to sign Manny Ramirez. Is it that important to be on the back page of the Post or Daily News?
If I hear one more person whine that CitiGroup should back out of its ballpark naming rights deal with the Mets, get over it. The deal was made in 2006. Bailout or no bailout. My worst nightmare is that they do back out and the place gets re-named Ebbetts Field. Hey it already is Ebbetts Field anyway, why not just finish the job put the name up next to the sign.
Pitchers and catchers arrive for Spring Training in 10 days and the NASCAR season kicks off this Saturday. Maybe spring will arrive sooner than we think.
Finally the dreaded birthday comes up Saturday and to borrow this from Erik Kuselias over at Bristol Tech. You tell a person your age by saying your favorite athlete who wore the number that corresponds. It's tough to find a famous 43. So this year I'm going with Richard Petty. My favorite was 2 years ago when I turned 41 so I could say Tom Seaver. I'll be watching the hockey game at the Civic Center and then head to Saratoga and the Center for Educational Studies and Advancement to get some higher learning. I've got to pay some fines for an overdue book.
Enjoy the weekend while I take another Geritol...Leccese out.

No comments: