Tuesday, August 18, 2009

They were a lot easier to put in than they were to take out

Hi There. Well my summer is officially over. Football practice has begun and in less than 3 weeks the season opener happens on WWSC. F.Y.I-The first game will be Saturday September 5th Niskayuna at Glens Falls. Next week I will make the tour of the schools, watch practices, talk to the coaches, see teams scrimmage on the 29th and then on the 30th attend a media day at UAlbany.

I was supposed to do 4 things this summer. I accomplished none of the four. Here they are. Play a lot of golf. Didn't happen (Links 2001 on my laptop doesn't count). Visit family in Rhode Island and see a minor league baseball game during the visit. Also didn't happen. Play golf with my cousins husband Ned. Nope, didn't happen. And last but not least, find a girlfriend. Ken Leccese, not tonight. In baseball terms that's called the "Golden Sombrero." 4 at bats and 4 strike outs.

Did some work in the yard Sunday and I removed 2 bushes and cut down another so it would re-grow. Boy they were a lot easier to plant 28 years ago when my parents first built the house I live in. Plus there is more removing to do. 2 more bushes, a crab apple tree and a 20 foot pine is coming out as well. And I have to prune some branches along my driveway. This one area we are doing over will contain perennials, small bushes and more raised beds for veggies.
The rest of the garden this year has been a disappointment. Lets see outside a respectable crop of green beans and lettuce, I've picked 5 cherry tomatoes, and 5 zucchini. That's it. No peppers, cucumbers or eggplant yet. It wasn't so much all the rain that affected the garden, it was the lack of warm weather in June or July that stunted growth.

On to sports where topic number one is Michael Vick and his signing with the Eagles. I gave my opinion on what he should have done. What he did was disgusting, horrible and every other negative word I can come with in regards to those dogs. He served his time and has a right to return to play pro football and make a living doing so. I felt he should have gone to the UFL first, make peace and friends with the SPCA and all the other animal rights groups to prove he's changed and then try to play in the NFL next year.

While reading the news the other day I happened to notice the UFL announced the names of the 4 teams that will play in its inaugural season and I have to ask who came up with them for the Florida and Las Vegas teams. The names chosen were the Tuskers and Locomotives? You've got to be kidding right? I wonder what the runners up were? What the heck is a Tusker anyhow? Locomotives for Las Vegas? Come on now what about Gamblers, Jackpot or my personal choice, The Strip. How cool does this sound. "Catch the Las Vegas Strip in action tonight on Versus when they take on the California Redwoods at 9pm." Las Vegas Locomotives, my skin is crawling over that choice.

Just when you thought it couldn't get any more worse for the Mets, it did and in scary fashion. David Wright got plunked in the head accidentally by a Matt Cain fastball. At least Cain showed remorse and apologized. If I were David, I would have told the trainers to call the Rangers or Islanders doctors to check him out for the concussion and not to trust the Mets team physicians. They would have told him to take a couple of Excedrin and he'd be fine the next morning. One more Mets note. The decorative improvements to CitiField. Too little, too late for this Mets fan. Beauty is skin deep, but ugly goes straight to the bone or in the case of CitiField ugly goes straight to its foundation. At least this Saturday Fred and Jeff Wilpon will actually remember the teams' history when the '69 Miracle Mets will be honored on its 40th anniversary. Nolan Ryan will be attending and I think this is the first time he's been a part of one of those reunions. I hope he gets the biggest applause of anyone that night. Sorry Misters' Seaver, Koosman, Harrelson, Grote and Company.

Poor Eldrick. He missed some putts and took the gas pipe at Hazeltine and lost the PGA on Sunday to Y.E Yang who made 2 amazing shots. The chip in for eagle on 14 and that 206 yard shot on 18. Don't shed a tear for CBS though. They got Eldrick in the final pairing and that means ratings points. I like Tiger, but the golf world does not revolve around him like everyone else thinks it does. Golf will continue even though Eldrick didn't win one major a year for the first time in 5 years.

I'm shocked and even more so disappointed in the revelations this past week coming out from Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino. I thought he was a stand up kind of guy.

The wheel of maternity has spun again and it landed on Fox News' Megyn Kelly. First it was Cobie Smulders and now Megyn Kelly. I've got to start looking for some new actresses and news reporters to have secret crushes on. Ones who are intelligent, attractive and their biological clocks are shut off. Don't tell my girlfriend I just wrote that, I'll be in big trouble if she finds out. Wait a second, I don't have girlfriend. Nothing to worry about after all...Leccese out

No comments: