Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The first ones' out of the way and other observations

Hi There. Well the first week of football season is in the books. My first impression after week one. Maybe there was a reason none of the locals showed up at that media event, they aren't going to be very good. In reading news paper accounts, no team really stood out. Warrensburg got what they needed, a win and positive vibes going into their game with Rensselaer Friday night. I took two things out of the Glens Falls/Niskayuna game on WWSC Saturday. The spread offense that Niskayuna ran looked more like the pistol Lake George runs. (If you watched Nevada's offense against Notre Dame, that's what Lake George uses.) I thought Niksayuna would throw it more. The other thing is Pat Lilac hopes Steve O'Sick comes back sooner rather than later from his leg injury.
Watching a decent amount of both college and high school football over the weekend I noticed a lot of teams weren't actually getting in a huddle . It was more like get the play from the sideline, line up and checkdown the defense pointing out where certain guys are and then run the play from the shotgun. I didn't see as much QB under center snaps.
I suffered through Cincinnati/Rutgers Monday and the difference was experience at QB. Tony Pike never flinched and picked apart the Rutgers D, while Dom Natale struggled in 2nd and 3rd and long situations . Rutgers was way too predictable on first down. On a positive note, its only one game and Tom Savage is going to be the real deal for the Scarlet Knights.
I hope Jets and Lions fans are patient with Mark Sanchez and Matt Stafford. What happened last year with Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan was an aboration and not the norm for rookie QB's.
Two trends are already showing up this year in the NFL. Everybody is trying the single wing or scheming to stop it, and coordinators are getting fired before the start of the regular season. We've already had 3 canned so far.
So which female had a better weekend at Saratoga. Rachel Alexandra, a two year filly named Hot Dixie Chick, or Linda Rice who won the training title?
Here's this weeks' sign of the apocalypse. Sunday while driving home, I was behind of a group of motorcycle riders. One of them was wearing a helmet with the Minnesota Viking horns on the side. (That looked cool!) It was the Brett Favre purple Vikes jersey he was wearing that made me sick. I would have thrown up, but I was driving my Dad's car.
I hope the Quintal family can get Oscar's Smokehouse rebuilt and up and running as fast as possible.
Congrats Pittsburgh sports fans. Not only do you have the Super Bowl and Stanley Cup Champs, you've got the Pirates who have set the mediocrity record. 17 straight losing seasons. There is a silver lining Pirates fans, at least CitiField isn't your home ballpark.
Props to Ryan Seacrest for having the guts to say something that a lot of us think but wouldn't do. He wished someone (that person being Heidi Pratt) be tazed. I told someone once that I hoped that one day they'd drive into a bridge abutment and the airbag didn't deploy. Another one I love and I stole this from a Tiny Toons Adventures cartoon. "I'm naming my first ulcer after you!" You can also insert kidney stone as an alternative.
I thought Tila Tequila had her shot of love not once, but twice on VH1? Just what we needed. Another reality star getting extra seconds of fame like they were playing a bonus round.
I'm not a big yogurt fan, but Yoplait Whips Key Lime Pie and Chocolate Mousse flavors are delicious.
I've got to decide whether or not I'm going sign up and work with a personal trainer at the gym on a once or twice a week.
You may find this hard to believe, but I'm actually taking 3 days off next week. Heading to South Carolina for a quick visit to see this piece of property my folks bought and are looking to build a home on. I'm not a good vacation person. I get bored and there is so much other stuff between work and home that needs constant attention. It's hard for me to just drop everything. One day of doing basically nothing and I'm good.
Coming up Friday its the return of "Opie's Upset Specials!"...Leccese out.

No comments: