Monday, January 18, 2010

In the wrong hands, like my hands; technology can be a dangerous thing

Hi there. First the weekend picks. Let me pass the "O-for" torch to my colleague and sports broadcast partner Mr. John Pratt. John, like the Stanley Cup the "o-for" torch is very heavy. Saturday I was looking good with the Saints and Colts coming up winners. Sunday was a different story. As much as dislike the Cowboys, I couldn't pick the Vikings. I used to love the Vikes with Fran Tarkenton, Chuck Foreman and the Purple People Eaters defense. Now I can't stand them. Is it just me or did half the team look like Grizzly Adams? Note to Jared Allen. Dan Haggerty called, he wants his look back. The Jets beat the Chargers doing what they've done all year long. Solid running game backed by a good defense. Mark Sanchez has managed the offense well enough to win and has kept his mistakes to a minimum. Also the Chargers self destructed and Norv Turner reminds me of Marty Shottenheimer. Great regular season coach, but come play-off time different story. I like the Jets just as much as I do the Islanders, Cubs, and Duke basketball.
My folks saw "Avatar" Thursday night even though its racist, causes depression in folks and it might be plagiarized. Both liked it and said it was a great movie.
I avoid watching award shows, but there is great humor in seeing stars dressed up in designer evening gowns and tuxes getting soaking wet in the rain walking the red carpet and having some publicist behind them with an umbrella over their head so the paparazzi can take photos.
For Christmas I got this thing that allows me to start and grow an indoor herb garden. You'll love this story. So I ordered a seed starting kit from Burpee and when the package arrived, there was no seed starter kit. I call up Burpee and tell them about the mistake. They apologized and said to keep what they sent and they'll send the seed starter kit. Guess what they sent? An indoor herb garden. You can never have enough of those.
Get well soon and quick healing to my good friend Jody Nolan. I'm calling you "Steeplechase" since I found out how you injured your elbow.
Last but not least, I bought the new cell phone Friday. "The Fossil" has been officially retired and will become a museum piece. The new phone has service I can use in my home, a keyboard and I've actually learned how to send text messages. There's a scary thought. Leccese with new technology and he's not afraid to use it. I won't be embarrassed anymore because 10 year old kids have better cell phones than I do. Next challenge with the phone. Taking photos. CBS comedies and Bourdain tonight...Leccese LOL out.

No comments: