Friday, January 8, 2010

Catching up and Wild Card Weekend picks

Hi there and a belated Happy New Year! Christmas was quiet. Got a lot of gift cards which is what I wanted. I was in bed asleep when the clock struck midnight on New Years Eve. I'm not a big New Years person anyway.
I made 5 New Years resolutions this year and if you missed it when I announced them on the air filling in for Dan and Pete, here's the happy re-cap. I'm buying a new cell-phone with better service so I actually can use it in my home. My current phone,"The Fossil" is ready to be donated along with the Beta VCR in my garage to a museum as artifacts. If you look on the cell-phone evolutionary chart its the fifth one on the left side right next to the one Zack Morris had on "Saved by The Bell." I hope to buy a brand new or low mileage pre-owned vehicle this year and it will not be a Saturn. I won't let a certain "little" thing bother me anymore. I'm really having hard time with that one already. Last year I gave up eating ice cream and this year I'm giving up cake and snack cakes. That's also gonna be tough. Finally, I'm going to take Body Pump at the gym. I've mentioned on more than one occasion that I need to make friends with the weights to accomplish my fitness goal and this is my desperation "Deal with the Devil" last chance to make peace with them.
On December 31st 2008 I weighed in at 242 pounds, a year later on December 31s 2009 the scale read 217 pounds.
After writing about weight loss, dieting, exercise and giving up eating certain foods, if you haven't been yet, stop in and try The Chocolate Mill. It's great. My kind of nice upscale gourmet place. Have breakfast and try the Dutch Apple Pancakes. Trust me on this recommendation. Afterwards, you'll be thanking me and I will be higher up on your best friends list. Plus the chocolates and other candies are killer. Haven't tried the desserts yet. Maybe that will be my birthday treat.
After doing this years' Grandstanders Hockey Tournament, I felt it didn't have the same atmosphere and vibe that its had in past years. The quality of teams were better, but the points format and no South Glens Falls and Saratoga sort of put a damper on the overall enthusiasm. Plus I think the local fans hoped to see Glens Falls and Queensbury play each other.
Note to the Phantoms. Ask the local high school hockey teams for their music play lists. They're 100 times better than what we as fans have to suffer with during home games at the Civic Center. Enough with the songs that encourage hand clapping please!
Its been a great first 8 days of 2010 for hockey here in the U.S. The Winter Classic was great. Fenway Park was a perfect venue. Next year it has to be at Yankee Stadium with the Rangers playing the Capitals. However, there could be a problem. The Yankees are holding a college bowl game between Christmas and New Years. It takes time to get a decent ice surface ready. The Mets have offered up you know where as an alternative sight. I promised I wouldn't mention and slam that place til April.
Props to USA Hockey and the Mens national junior programs who both came home with gold medals at the Under 20 and Under 17 World Junior Championships in Canada earlier this week.
The Mets signed Jason Bay and I loved this comment from the great baseball writer Peter Gammons. "Jason Bay would rather play in Beruit than in the place where the Mets now call home." For the second time, I promised I wouldn't mention and slam you know where 'til April. Peter, Jason had 66 million reasons over 4 years with an option for a fifth why he chose Queens over Beruit. Refresh my memory, does the Beruit ballpark have a Home Run Apple or a Shake Shack restaurant? I didn't think so.
I almost feel sorry for Association commish David Stern having to make a decision with the Gilbert Arenas fiasco. There's nothing better than two teammeates re-living child hood memories playing cops and robbers or cowboys and indians in the locker room using real guns, and keeping the weapons in a box in your locker. "Look everybody, I got the latest new sneaks from my shoe company. Oops wrong shoe box. That's my 44 magnum revolver or is it my glock?" What's even better is the commish has to deal with blowhard Al Sharpton chiming in with his unsolicited opinion. The key word in all of this is,almost.
By now we've heard all the Tiger Woods jokes, and probably someone has come up with this one. Growing up, on one wall of Tigers' bedroom was a list of Jack Nicklaus' accomplishments and major championships. What we didn't know is that on another wall was the list of the 20 thousand women that Wilt Chamberlain supposedly slept with. I think Tigers' a little closer to Jack's number than Wilt's, but he's working on it. Thank you, thank you very much. You're a great audience. Stay for the late show and try the veal.
Am I the only one who has noticed that a Snuggie really is nothing more than a plush bathrobe that you wear backwards.
Here they are short,sweet and to the point. Picks for the wild card games. I like the Bengals, Eagles, Patriots, and Packers. Enjoy the weekend...Leccese out.

No comments: