Friday, December 25, 2009

My Christmas Present to you, Upset Specials in a big gift wrapped box with a tag that says, "Do not Open til Christmas!"

Hi There and Merry Christmas too. Last year on this very day I was lying on the floor of my sisters home in Cary, North Carolina typing an entry on what was then the new laptop I got for Christmas. It was in the mid 50's and I was thinking how could I convince my brother-in-law to drag out the golf clubs, sneaking over to Lochmere and playing 9 holes Christmas day. Fast forward to a year later. I'm home in Chestertown, its a seasonable 20 something degrees outside and there's about 6 inches of snow on the golf course across the street and I'm typing an entry on the laptop I got last Christmas.
Well because its Christmas and I'm in a giving mood and you've been such good little readers this past year, you'll get some extra presents known as upset specials in your stocking and under the tree or festivus pole. If they turn to coal, well don't blame me. I tell you not to actually pick them. O.K. some college bowl upset specials first. In the Emerald Bowl in San Fransisco take Boston College over USC who aren't used to playing in a bowl game before January 1st. In the EagleBank Bowl in our nations capital, go with the Temple Owls over the UCLA Bruins who backed in because Army lost against Navy. If you want to know who is one of best upcoming college coaches its Temple's Al Golden. One more, in the Texas Bowl take Navy over Missouri. For the NFL lets see what Santa has in his sack. Take the Houston Texans over the Miami Dolphins and the Denver Broncos over the Philadelphia Eagles.
I don't what has made me more depressed during the holidays. Dubray is dating yet another attractive blond girlfriend or that comedian David Brenner is dating figure skater Tai Babilonia. I thought David Brenner had either died or was doing stand up at retirement communities in Florida or Arizona.
If you honestly believe there is someone for everyone out there, take these words of wisdom from me. They are liars!
I have a confession to make. I tried online dating this year.
The age spots will be exploding on my arm Sunday like a choreographed fireworks display. The Giants are playing their last regular season home game at Giants Stadium. Another stadium of my youth being torn down because its supposedly out dated with not enough corporate amenities. Having grown up in New Jersey which is often the butt of many jokes, the Meadowlands being built gave my state some credibility. I've been to Giants Stadium 3 times. To see the Cosmos play soccer, a Giants pre-season game, and a Rutgers/Army football game. When the Giants are playing well in December, Giants Stadium could be the worst nightmare for opposing teams between the winds and the Giants fans starting the "de-fense" chant. Like that place where the Mets play is a tribute to the Brooklyn Dodgers, the new Meadowlands stadium is all about the other New York football team that wears Green and White and shares the building with them.
It's been a whole year since I've eaten ice cream and I don't miss it. Next up snack cakes. Sorry Hostess, Drakes, Little Debbie, and Tastykake. No more Twinkies, Yodels, Cup Cakes or other sugary frosted cream filled sins for this guy. If you own stock in any of those bakeries, sell it now before it takes the gas pipe cause I'm not padding the dividends.
Got a busy week ahead. Filling in for Dan and Pete during the morning and Grandstanders hockey on Tuesday evening. By the way, the resolution list is now officially at 7.
Enjoy the Christmas holiday and treasure the moments with your family. That is best gift of all no matter how annoying the relatives are.
Finally, if you don't like a gift instead of re-gifting, quietly hint and ask for the receipt 24 hours later so you can return it...Leccese out.

No comments: