Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Is it Christmas yet? I'm feeling a little like scrooge.

Hi There. Just 3 days til Christmas and I'll admit that at times I'm feeling like Scrooge. Don't get me wrong. I love the idea of buying gifts for my friends and family and the notion of helping people who are in need through the radio station. However, there are parts of the holidays that are really starting to bug me and fray my nerves. The kamikaze attack of mail order catalogs, newspaper inserts, sales, and specials. I don't like decorating my home for the holidays. Going into my garage dragging out 5 or 6 plastic containers filled with tacky stuff that you put up for 6 weeks and then having to take it all down and put it away again around January 1st. When it comes to my home, I'm a minimalist. Couple of pieces of stylish furniture, nice carpeting, a plant or two, artwork hanging on the wall. Then there's Christmas cards. I'd rather get a phone call on an insignificant day of the week or weekend every once in while because you were thinking of me, than a card annually wishing me happy holidays.
Last but not least Christmas music. There are radio stations that the day after Thanksgiving change its format and play nothing but Christmas music through the new year. I'll give Dan credit, here at WCKM we build your holiday music tolerance up slowly. Just enough but not too much that you become aggravated and want to commit suicide. Christmas music to me is like decorating my home for holidays, only you play the songs for five to six weeks and then put them back in the attic the rest of year.
On to other things. The New York Post had Tiger Woods and his troubles on its front page for 19 consecutive days! It broke a record that was held by the September 11th attacks. To make matters worse they've also hired Ashly Dupre former governor Elliot Spitzers friend, to write an advice column. Give it up to Rupert Murdoch!
One good thing about the Cowboys beating the Saints Saturday night, and that was game was on the NFL Network, which because of cable company disputes most people couldn't see it.
The Jets and Giants want to host a Super Bowl in the new Meadowlands stadium. Why? I'm still trying figure out how the Cowboys built a 100 thousand seat retractable domed stadium, the Colts built a retractable domed stadium, plus the Cardinals built a retractable domed and removable natural grass field stadium all of which cost less than the1.6 billion dollars its costing the Jets and Giants with their new open air digs. In defense of the teams here's 2 of the many reasons why there's no dome. One, the Giants didn't want one, and two if the weather gets below a certain temp, the NFL can tell you to close the roof.
0 for 2 on the upset specials last weekend. The Pack lost in the last second to the Steelers and the Redskins got thumped by the Giants. Don't get me wrong I was happy the Giants won, but watching the first half I was waiting for the defense to stink up the joint or Eli to throw a pick. Neither happened and I went to bed either numb or in shock. Since I never watch Monday Night Football, note to Jaws and Coach Chucky Gruden. If you guys don't already, start drinking de-caf please.
As a Rutgers football fan, I'm going to enjoy the next couple of years with Tom Savage under center and Mohamed Sanu running and catching the ball for the Scarlet Knights.
Outside the Lines has been doing a month long feature on the NCAA and the cost of doing business in college athetics. Last Sunday they featured Rutgers and its former A.D Bob Mulcahy and how he brought the football program from a national joke to national prominence. Mr. Mulcahy was fired a year ago over some issues within the department. What didn't get mentioned in the feature was that the academic integrity of the university was never compromised. In fact the football team has been ranked in the top ten nationally for graduation rates and overall grade point average. If done properly, big time college athletics and academics can work together and peacefully co-exist.
Got to thank Eric Thomas at 900 Global for coming through with a bowling ball for Bowl for Kids Sake. Yep, I've got it already. If you want to see it's called "The Head Hunter." Go to 900global.com and go to the balls section. You'll see it in the novelty section. It's the red one.
Finally a Merry Christmas to all the loyal readers of, "The Greenhouse Effect" and don't forget to leave out the milk and cookies for Santa...Leccese out.

No comments: