Sunday, August 29, 2010

3 football scrimmages, 2 trips to the fair and I bought a new SUV (sung to the tune of "The 12 days of Christmas")

Hi there. It's been one heck of a busy week. I filled in on the morning show over on the sister station while John Pratt went to Florida on vacation. I'm not making this one up. He threw his back out the first full day he was there. I have three injury theories. Number One. He bent over and pulled something when he went to raid the mini-bar in the frig. (John, you do know you have to pay for the food and drinks that you take from it.) Number Two. He got whiplash from going too fast on the spinning tea cup ride; and number three: their was an unfortunate incident on "It's a Small World."
Did a lot of people watching this week. I hope Mark Griffin and I weren't the only ones who took notice of the fact that the scariest looking people on the planet can be found at a county fair. Man, talk about one heck of a freak show. You saw them in their glory. Checking out the exhibits, playing games, riding the rides along the midway and eating anything fried or on a stick. Diet, exercise, moderation and sense of style are some of the words not to be found in those folks vocabulary. I also kept a promise to a friend and went to the resort he owns to see a band play. Observing people in that element, watching them drink adult beverages and what happens during and afterward is a trip. It makes for great material in this case for the blog or my stand up act. What is it about the songs, "Sweet Home Alabama" or "All Night Long" by ACDC. I don't get it. Note to the bartenders. Tell the boss to add Guinness to beer list, please.
I watched 3 football scrimmages Saturday and was at the Section 2 football media day at UAlbany Sunday. A couple of observations. Hudson Falls looks potentially good; and Section 2 Class D teams here's a warning. Moriah from Section 7 is a big team with big numbers. There is a good chance they could make a third straight trip to Syracuse. Be afraid, be very afraid. As for media day, I was disappointed that no teams from our area showed up. I go so I can talk to coaches and get rosters from those schools who will be on a game of the week against one of the locals we cover.
You want to know how big "The Jug Game" is going to be. Here's how big. They were taking pre-orders on t-shirts promoting the return of the HF/GF game at Hudson Falls' scrimmage and they were expecting the shirts to sell out.
I feel real bad for the Nationals because after all the protecting, babying, pitch counts, and limiting of innings, Steven Strassburg still has to undergo Tommy John surgery.
With all of the kaos that I encountered this week, I managed to buy the replacement for my Saturn Vue. I really wasn't thinking seriously about a new or pre-owned SUV, but this particular vehicle fell into my lap and I couldn't say no it. It helped that it was one of the models I liked and was considering buying anyway. Thanks Cloutier, I'll tell Chris Della Bella to send you the finders fee for that sale.
Eldrick and Elin got a divorce. Excuse me for yawning. Moving on.
Paris Hilton got arrested for cocaine posession. That's not hot.
Note to NYRA. You were this close to having a perfect weekend. Great weather, big crowds, amazing finish in the Travers, and Rachael Alexandra. Persistantly spoiled the party with an amazing stretch run in the Personal Ensign. To quote Maxwell Smart, "Missed it by that much."
Garden update. Harvested potatoes (yessss!) and more peppers. I'm thinking homefries for breakfast. I'm getting sick of seeing zucchini. I would like to see some red tomatoes and eggplant real soon. To quote Judge Smails in Caddyshack, "Well, we're waiting."
In the next entry, the long awaited return of ,"Opie's Upset Specials!"
See you at the Jug Game...Leccese out.

No comments: