Sunday, August 22, 2010

Stop nagging me about not being on Facebook!

Hi there. There is nothing better on a rainy day than sitting in front of my laptop typing away creating another riveting entry in "The Greenhouse Effect." Sometimes I feel like Stephen J. Cannell at the end of all his tv shows when he's meticulously finishing a script and he rips the final page from the typewriter and in the end it says "A Stephen J. Cannell Production" with the music stinger.
Where to start. Thanks to everyone who participated, contributed money, and volunteered their time to help us with the go-cart race. Next to Bowl for Kids Sake, its my favorite thing we do charity wise. I rode the carts after it was over and I felt for the drivers. Those go-carts could haul and you got pretty rattled around making turns and you could see the rubber coming off the tires.
I'm not backtracking on my opinion of Rex Ryan, but I'm going to defend him. We've all heard about his overuse of salty language on "Hard Knocks," but I think he should tell Tony Dungy to just bleeping shut up and go bleeping away. When did Tony Dungy become such a hot piece of bleep and the moral conscious of the NFL? If it weren't for Peyton Manning you'd still be nothing more than a choke artist coach who constantly whines about things being unfair. Remember, Chucky Gruden took the same Bucs team he had the year before to a SuperBowl win the next season.
Watching Brett Favre's return to the Vikes and the scene that was made on his arrival at training camp kind of reminded me of that white Bronco driving down I-5 in LA sixteen years ago.
The two best sports writers hands down are Mike Lupica and Mitch Albom and I always try to read their columns whenever possible.
The feistiness, denial and just plain stupidity Roger Clemens is showing these days must be making Donald Fehr and Marvin Miller proud. If Clemens does take a hit over these allegations, I hope its with the same piece of broken bat he flung at Mike Piazza.
Been to 4 high schools to watch football practice and talked with coaches about the upcoming season. Hudson Falls looks good and they've got numbers that a lot of schools wish the Tigers had. Lake George, Warrensburg, and Glens Falls are all young and raw. I was shocked by numbers at Lake George. They were down, but they also didn't have freshman practicing with the varsity.
My friend Mike Rowe was back in town for a wedding and he took time to teach the fitness class I take at the gym. It was just like the good old days when you didn't want to miss one of his classes and you were jokingly scolded for not showing up. A bunch of us combat veterans were there and we had a blast hanging out.
Dave Thomas will be filling in for me this week while I go across the hall and do the morning show on the sister station. I also have two days at the Washington County Fair. I promise that there will be no eating of deep fried Oreo's this year not even if Lisa Robertson or Patricia Kara showed up with them and personally fed them to me. Eating those things that morning were like the classic SNL "Little Chocolate Donuts" commercial with John Belushi.
Finally, a note to my all caring friends and younger sister. Quoting Susan Powter, "Stop the Insanity!" No more mentions, suggestions, or dropping of hints that I should come into the 21st century and join Facebook. It's not gonna happen! Now if you go to the top of the website, you'll see that WCKM and WCQL is on Facebook. I've checked out the WCKM page and discovered that many our staff has befriended it. Why? I don't get the whole Facebook/Twitter thing. If a current friend or family member wants to get in touch with me, they know where I am and they have my e-mail address and cell phone number and can either text or call me. If any of my former high school or college friends wanted to find me, don't you think they would have stayed in touch after all these years or found me by now? All they have to do is google my name if they remember how to spell it. I've made big strides this year in getting a new cell phone. I know how to text, I can download ringtones and I just learned how to send photos to peoples' phones and e-mail addresses.
Jug Game in two weeks...Leccese out

No comments: