Monday, March 21, 2011

Just because the calendar officially says its spring, doesn't mean it really is.

Hi there. So if we are to get 4 to 8 inches of wet snow on this the second day of spring, at least I know my cars are parked in the right spot so the guy who plows my driveway has plenty of room to put the stuff.
Bracketology update. Big East basketball suddenly morphed into Big East football. 11 teams got in, only 2 are left. UConn and Marquette. My two Big East final four picks both went down in the second round. So who do I have left of my final four predictions? Kentucky and Duke. If you want to call Butler a Cinderella, remember they lost in the championship game last year. They are no Cinderella. This years Cinderella's would be Richmond or VCU.
The whole CBS/TNT/TruTV/TBS thing is a good idea, but it needs some tweaking. It was painful watching Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith as studio hosts, and Marv Albert doing college basketball didn't seem right. He was always the voice of pro basketball to me. On the positive side, I didn't have to suffer like a person who just had a root canal having to endure listening to Gus Johnson.
The best part of watching and listening to the BYU games over the weekend wasn't seeing Jimmer do what he did on floor. I was lucky to see him do enough of that in high school. It was hearing Verne Lundquist and Billy Rafferty mentioning Glens Falls, Lake George and our little part of the world itself. The Cougars need to improve on their rebounding and low post defense if they want to make it to the Final Four.
One more basketball note. Saw the Bristol Tech 30 for 30 movie on the Michigan Fab Five. It was good, however Jalen Rose has gotten a whole mess of criticism for some comments he made about Grant Hill and other African American Duke teammates. He felt that way when he was 18 years old! Times change and your opinions change as you get older. When I was 18 I hated Georgetown, John Thompson and everything about the Hoyas! Now I appreciate how great those Georgetown teams were and the job that John Thompson did coaching them. If you wanted to attack a member of those Duke teams Jalen, it was Christian Laettner. Nobody liked him.
Met fans, its been a rough winter for us. Between the new management team, financial troubles and this lawsuit hanging over the Wilpons head by Irving Picard; it's been painful. The light at the end of the tunnel has been lit! Both Luis Castillo and Oliver Perez are gone!
I'm hoping Jason Isringhausen makes the team as its eighth inning guy.
I might just take a pass on the two Phantoms' home games this weekend just so I don't have to suffer through watching that guy who dances like a fool and throws t-shirts to fans.
Football fans, if you get a moment; say a prayer for a fast recovery to Steve Sabol who has a brain tumor. One big part of the NFL's success and popularity can be attributed to Ed and Steve Sabol.
No matter what your political opinions are, the bottom line is Bill Maher is one funny individual and "Real Time" is a must watch on HBO. The "New Rules" segment is my favorite and the captions are brilliant.
I know last week I made, "The Greehouse Effect" a Charlie Sheen free zone, but I'm rescinding that edict for one week. He makes this weeks sign of the apocalypse because his so-called, "one man show" has sold out in all 7 cities he plans on appearing in.
If "Two and Half Men" isn't gonna be on the CBS Monday night line-up next tv season, could you move "The Big Bang Theory" back to Monday's and into that time slot?
Speaking of one man shows, Paul Reubens, a.k.a PeeWee Herman is performing on Broadway doing a show with the characters from "Pee Wee's Playhouse." I watched it Saturday night and it was great. It will bring back some memories for fans of the tv show. You think he could convince Laurence Fishburne to go on stage and appear as "Cowboy Curtis" for one night?
This was the first weekend in a long time I wasn't congested and my back didn't hurt. I also worked out on a treadmill at the gym Thursday and Friday. It felt good.
To everybody at Big Brothers/Big Sisters, I will be back to bowl next year.
One of the best smells in the kitchen is when bread dough rises and you get that, "the yeast is activated" smell. You lift the towel or plastic wrap off the bowl and it hits you. It's intoxicating.
Finally, garden 2011 was officially started with pepper and eggplant seeds being planted. I looked out at where the raised beds are going in with 2 feet snow covering the area and I'm dreading all that work I have ahead of me when the snow finally melts and the mud finally dries out...Leccese out.

No comments: