Monday, August 22, 2011

Going to camp and the Washington County Fair

Hi there.  Just re-adjusting my body clock after a week of filling in for Dan on the Club and having fun with Pete.  I tell people that one of the best things to do is a fill in stint on another show.  It's a great change of pace and re-energizes you for your regular air shift.  That's why you'll find me Saturday mornings on Hits 95 Nine.  I love playing the more current music once a week and its more relaxed.
These next two weeks are going to be bear of a time for me  This week its about heading to football training camps and the Washington County Fair Tuesday.  Then the weekend comes and its all about more high school football.  Definitely 3 and possibly 4 football scrimmages on Saturday, followed by Section 2 media day in Albany on Sunday.  Then its ramps up getting all the stuff ready for the first broadcast September 3rd.  Calling the high schools and getting rosters with numbers on them.  Plus there's final 2 weeks of the Saratoga meet with the Travers this Saturday.  I've still got to find time to get my car serviced and go to gym.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel.  It's called leaving for vacation on September 4th.
Moving on.  The University of Miami is in some serious trouble with all the allegations that this Bernie Madoff wannabe ponzi schemer is spilling the guts about his ties to the program and what improper benefits he was giving athletes.  I've written many times that the NCAA does a lousy job of policing its institutions and they don't have the family jewels to impose the Death Penalty on some of these schools who either commit major violations or are repeat offenders with their basketball and football programs.
Georgetown University's basketball team goes on a goodwill tour to China and what happens?  One of the nastiest on court brawls takes place between the Hoyas and one of the pro teams over there.  They were calling it awful and terrible.  It brought a tear to my eye.  Brought back memories of the "Hoya Paranoia" years when Patrick Ewing, Michael Graham, David Wingate and Horace Broadnax played for them in the 80's.
If you missed it, Dennis "The Worm" Rodman was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame.  Look Rodman was eccentric but one hell of a defender and rebounder.  He drove you nuts on the court with his antics.  I watched his speech and he was humbled by the honor.  Still trying to figure out how he got Carmen Electra to marry him.
Chris Mullin, one of my top 5 all time favorite basketball players on the face of the planet period was also inducted that night.  It was good to be a St.John's fan when he played. 
Went to the track Thursday and thanks to my lack of betting ability was able to lighten my wallet enough to make weight if I wanted ride in a steeplechase.  The problem was the, "you have to be the this tall to get on the horse" sign. I was about 8 to 9 inches over.
I wanted to know what was so special about a "Shake Shack" burger. Tried one and it was no big deal. I've had better.  At least now I don't have to go CitiField to get one.  The best burger I've eaten hands down was at this sports bar called "Good Old Times" near Madison Square Garden.  The fries were even better.  They were that good!  My dad and I could finish off a plate in record time before heading to a Rangers game.
I still don't get what the big deal is over the Iowa straw poll and how it will affect primary season when it starts next February in New Hampshire and South Carolina.
Tony Bourdain was asked a question of who he thought the worst cooks on the Food Network were.  He said his usual two in Rachael Ray and Sandra Lee, but he also threw in Paula Deen that category and made his usual comments.  Paula didn't take kindly to Tony's answer.  Don't mess with her,Tony. She's one of those crazy aunt's you had growing up with a Southern accent to match.
Harvesting tomatoes finally along with the squash, cucumbers and beans.  Up next potatoes.  Lets hope those bags were worth the investment.
Finally, I'm bringing up Kim Kardashian's wedding for two reasons.  One, I was very disappointed not to get an invitation to the nuptials because I'm willing to admit to being a Nets fan.  And two. How much money do you think she made from the dollar dance?
Only 10 days til Rutgers home opener and 12 days til Niskayuna at Glens Falls.  See you at the fair and don't bring any fried Oreo's over to me at our broadcast location please!..Leccese out.

No comments: