Monday, August 1, 2011

Going into gym freak exile

Hi there. Just wrapped up one of those feel good weekends' that I hope the good vibes will spill into Monday and Tuesday.
Right off the bat, "Legen-dary" happened. I often talk about a special group of friends I have who are affectionately known as the "gym freaks." These are the people I work out with and are loyal almost to a cult like following of Les Mills fitness classes. Four of the instructors have opened up a new studio dedicated to those classes here in town. It's called Core and you should check the place out on Washington Street. You'll understand why I talk so glowingly about them. They opened this past Saturday and when I found out a few months earlier they were doing this, I knew I had to surprise them and do something special. I had an "Edible Arrangement" sent. I thought it would be the perfect and appropriate thing. It almost didn't happen. The closest store was in Clifton Park and the only thing I could get delivered if I ordered online were chocolate covered strawberries. Lucky for me a new shop opened in Saratoga just in the nick of time and I was able to get one of those neat arrangements delivered. They were totally caught off guard and blown away. Just like I had hoped. A simple flower arrangement or plant just wasn't gonna cut it for this group.
The sad thing is I can't join Core until the new year because of my current gym membership. It's killing me inside that I won't be among the freaks and instructors right away. However, they will continue to inspire me during this so called "exile." I'll work out harder knowing that everyday will bring me closer to joining them and being a part of the group again. I haven't been in yet.  I know I should go, but I don't want to until I can be a member. I want feel like that little kid on Christmas Eve, waiting for Santa to come. Get back that extra little bit of adrenaline that goes through your body in anticipation knowing you'll be taking class with a particular instructor and the smile you get when you see them before it starts. Also there's that look of surprise when they're not expecting to see you in class and you show up. They are truly a special group and their friendship means so much to me.
Enough gym freak talk. On to other things. How come the Houston Astros can get three prospects from the Phillies for Hunter Pence, and Mets GM Sandy Alderson only managed to nab the Giants top pitching prospect who by the way has an ERA of 3.99 in Single A for 5 time All-Star Carlos Beltran? The other thing I found interesting about the whole Beltran thing was his deal he signed with then Mets GM Omar Minaya. What idiot team would agree to a contract that included a clause in it that would not include arbitration and the team would get draft picks if the player rejected it for free agency? That is about as boneheaded as the trade the Mets made with the Rays for Victor Zambrano and they gave up Scott Kazmir. Typical Mets management.
One more Mets note. There nothing more exciting in baseball than watching Jose Reyes leg out a triple.
Hold on. In the time it's taken you to read this entry up to this point, we had 6 more NFL free agent signings.
Did we really need a live action movie dedicated to the Smurfs and did it have to be in 3-d too?
Found it humorous to know that in the askmen.com annual survey it found that among the female and male celebrities that men are sick of hearing about the most topping the list were Lady Gaga and Justin Beiber.
My favorite thing we do at the radio station takes place Tuesday. The annual Celebrity Go-Cart race for 6 local charities at Adventure Racing. Remember all that day when you ride the carts, Adventure Racing will donate 50 percent of the proceeds to our charities. So bring your kids and channel that little kid in you and help us out by taking a turn on the track.
3 more NFL free agent signings and 2 trades have occurred and did the Patriots really trade for both Albert Haynesworth and Chad Eighty Five a.k.a Ocho Cinco?
See you in 5 months gym freaks or are we officially Core freaks now?..Leccese out.

No comments: