Thursday, November 24, 2011

It hasn't been the same for a long time. Miss you Uncle Tony and Aunt Jo

Hi there.  Here I am on typing away on Thanksgiving before an afternoon with my parents looking out at the bird feeder and hoping the finches and chickadees enjoy their holiday meal that I put out for them.  Thanksgiving as a holiday is an afterthought for me now.  I miss those days when I would be with my cousins and aunts and uncles in East Hartford Connecticut this time of year.  Growing up in a large Italian-American family meant 4 days of eating, drinking, football, card games and as we got older seeing if potential spouses were worthy of joining our big clan.  That's one thing I never got to do.  Bring a girlfriend to the festivities.  I would have loved to have my Uncle Tony give her his approval; or my aunts and female cousins test her toughness.  The male cousins would torture, and I mean torture boyfriends as part of the ritual.  I now enjoy working on air Thanksgiving morning and just relaxing the rest of the day.  It's not the same and hasn't been for a long time.
Enough reminiscing.  Upset special time!  Split week.  Won on the college as Kansas State beat Texas; and lost on the pro with Titans.  Here we go.   Got a batch of them for you.  Pro upset special.  No Jay Cutler, no problem for the Bears who are dogs on the road in Oakland.  College upset specials.  Got 2 for you this week.  Big 10 plus two country first where the Golden Gophers of Minnesota are home against the Fightin' Illini of Illinois.  Go with Minnesota.  Second upset special, I'm thinking Fightin' Irish of Notre Dame going to Palo Alto and beating Andrew Luck and the Stanford Cardinal.  The last pick is the annual "Pete Tobey Grey Cup upset special" pick.  The Winnipeg Blue Bombers defeat the BC Lions for the CFL title.  It's been a good year for the province of Manitoba.  First they get the Jets back, and then they'll win the Grey Cup.
Can we get some good news in college sports?  We all know what's going on at Penn State and Syracuse, but it didn't get better.  You had the tragedy of Oklahoma State losing its womens' basketball coach and an assistant in a plane crash on a recruiting trip and after an Arkansas game football one of its players was found dead in his dorm room. 
I found a good story.  He's a walk-on freshman qb at Michigan named Alex Swieca who never played high school football.  He actually went to Israel after graduating high school and was playing 8 man a side amateur football while living there for a year before going to college..  He sent a tape to one of the coaches and they are giving him the chance to be a part of the team.  I'm rooting for this "Rudy" like kid to climb up the depth charts.
I'm happy for Tiger Woods that he was able win the clinching point for Team U.S.A in the Presidents Cup.  Look, I know I've ripped him in the past.  I want him to bounce back from his health problems and his marital infidelity.  Note to the Ryder Cup selection committee, Freddie Couples has captained Team U.S.A for the past 2 wins in this event and don't you think its about time he deserves a Ryder Cup captaincy.
"Amish hate crimes."  It doesn't seem right at all. 
Another reason why Tony Bourdain is totally cool and the man.  He appeared on "The Simpsons."
Jenny McCarthy is going on Match.com to find a boyfriend.  I'm sorry. but she's like Chelsea Handler and Sarah Silverman.  Very attractive, but one scary "I'm not going no where near her" type.
I thought about what female celebrity I would like to date JP and Mags, and its Sofia Vergara from Modern Family.  The LA Clippers have a better chance of winning the NBA Championship that I have that ever happening.
Michelle Bachmann got all upset by the music that Jimmy Fallon played when she appeared on his show.  Get over it.  Lighten up.  Be hopeful you might be considered for a cabinet position.
Saw this last weekend.  There's an Entemann's cookbook out.  If the famous crumb cake recipe is in, I just may have to buy it.
Twilight versus the Muppets this week at the movies.  Should be an interesting battle at the box office this weekend.
799 kids were adopted this year.  I can't thank you all enough for your continued generosity.
Enjoy the holiday.  Go Middletown South Eagles and Rutgers...Leccese out.

No comments: