Sunday, February 19, 2012

Thoughts of Whitney and "Kid"

Hi there.  Really not much to talk about when it comes to the absurd, well unless you count how many times we've dealt with the alteration of the English language in regards to the past couple of weeks and Knicks point guard Jeremy Lin.  I mentioned this in last weeks entry.  I don't know how long this will last, but I'm hoping this kid will enjoy every moment and not let it get to his head.  I've come down with the annual winter cold this past week so you think if I had Jeremy Lin touch my forehead, he'll magically cure me of the stuffiness and congestion?
I have Directv and was not affected by the MSG versus Time Warner spat that was finally resolved.  The only thing that would have made me pay attention to it was if they were able to figure out and resolve the little problem of the issue being the north country is considered broadcast territory of the Buffalo Sabres.  When the Rangers and Sabres play on the same night, the Rangers get blacked out!  I'll stop complaining about it when I see the Sabres hold training camp at either the Weibel Avenue/Vernon twin rinks in Saratoga or here at the GFCC.
Like my friend Chris "Gonzo" Gates, I to did not watch the Grammy award show.  It was a forgone conclusion that Adele was going to take home a boat load of those shiny statuettes and I think 6 of them count as a boat load.
Nice seeing Mitch Albom back on the panel of the Sports Reporters last Sunday.
My birthday gift from my sister, brother-in-law and niece was a ravioli maker.  Now I'll be known not only as eggplant parm guy, but homemade ravioli guy too. LOL.  The curse of being a great home cook with restaurant chef skills.
This week we lost two of the good people too soon.  First was Whitney Houston.  How tragic.  Such a wonderful voice and beautiful person.  It's amazing how quickly things can just spiral out of control like a tornado to some one like that.
The other good person we lost was Gary Carter.  "Kid" was the moral conscious of those crazy but talented Mets teams of the early to mid 80's.  The Mets of that era, you either loved 'em or hated 'em.  Being a Mets fan, I loved them.  As a sports fan and commentator I wanted to know what was going through the minds of not just the Mets fans and New York, but was going on up north in Montreal where he was a giant along with names like Dawson, Wallach and Cromartie.  In a town where sports fans are born to worship at the church of the Canadiens, the Expos found a way to form their own little religion and Gary Carter was one of the lead preachers of that flock. Heck of a catcher and an even better person. They're also mourning the loss.  One more note about Carter's death.  He died of complications from brain tumors and cancer.  That one hit me hard.  11 years ago, I lost my god mother, my Aunt Patty to the same thing that beat Gary Carter.  It was the only time I ever cried at someone's funeral.  Carter was 57, my aunt was 54. 
Sectional basketball is coming up and I don't have make the trip to either Hudson Valley CC, UAlbany or some other gym next weekend.  Get to walk across the street to the Civic Center for the Glens Falls/Queensbury re-match in Sectional hockey.
Tuesday February 21st, "The Greenhouse Effect" turns 4 years old.  Maybe this stupid cold will be gone by then...Leccese out.

No comments: