Monday, March 12, 2012

Re-connecting

Hi there.  With our high school sports broadcast season having come to an end, I just want to thank all the area high schools, athletic directors, coaches, players and fans for another great year.  It's a labor of love for us here at the radio ranch bringing you those football, basketball and hockey games.  In less than a month I'll get that first draft of the 2012 football schedule and I'll grab my hi-lighter and start marking potential games to do.  By the way, first day of football practice is 5 months away August 13th, with opening day set for August 31st.  Way too early.
One more high school sports note and that is the retirement of Doug Kenyon as Section 2 chairman.  Doug is a great guy who has helped me countless times.  He'll still be involved with the State Basketball Championships.  Who ever takes over his job with Section 2 will have some shoes the size of Bob Lanier's 22's to fill.
On to other things.  Yesterday I had one of those days I should have done a long time ago.  I re-connected with my past. I went to Whitehall and north to Clemons and Dresden. When I first moved here 23 years ago, Dan and his brother Eric introduced to me to a lot of their friends and one of them was the Brown family.  Jim and Kim and their two sons Scott and Mark.  I spent a lot of time in Whitehall those first two years, playing softball at Mud Creek and getting to know the people.  Had some real good times in Whitehall.  It had been years since I was in town.  Mark and Scott all grown up now and Scott has his own Maple Sugar house.  Right at Home Maple.  They had their first open house and making the drive and being with them again was in one word...awesome.  The smell from the sugar house alone was worth the trip.  Tasting fresh warm syrup right from the boiler.  Its like in the fall when you get warm cider donuts right out of the fryer.  Unbelievable!  Dan brought his grandkids and they just got to be kids, playing in the mud and looking at the chickens and horses that are the property.  We all had fun.  Driving through the Slate Valley on Route 22 like I did a lot from 1989 through 1990.  It was good to be back.  Next time which I hope will be sooner rather than later, I'll stop at Dan's Mom and Stepdad's home and re-connect with them.
Big thanks to everyone at Warrensburg High and North Warren Central School for the fun at Donkey basketball last week.  I always have a great time being a part of those events with the staff and kids and the donkey's didn't have any accidents on the gym floor either nights.
You know I have to bring it up, but this weeks' sign of the apocalype is Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi's pregnancy.  You think Kim Kardashian's jealous because of the financial windfall Ms.Polizzi will be getting from this?  You know Kimmy, if you'd stayed married to Kris Humphries, that could have been you reaping the financial gain.  You'll do anything to make a buck on television.
Five words for Rush Limbaugh.  Shut up and go away!
Not one but two from the, "You gotta try this stuff because its that yummy" department.  First from the healthier choice department.  Kashi Go Lean Honey Almond Flax Crunch cereal.  It's good for you and delicious both snacking out of the box or in a bowl with milk.  Second, head to Target and indulge in a pint of Ben and Jerry's Volun-tiramisu ice cream.  Anytime I can eat something as sinfully good as that stuff is and help a good cause, I'm all for it.
My pasta maker arrived and I spent part of Saturday learning how to use it.  Making the dough, running it through the rollers and cutters.  If I had the cooking skills I have now along with my hobbies like gardening, photography and other interests back in the college days, I might have met someone and married them.  Instead, still single at 46 and my hopes and optimism are fading fast.
I might just have to upgrade to one of those smart phones so I can get the whip app that was so funny when they used it during "The Big Bang Theory's" last episode.
Bowling for Kids Sake in two weeks and you can help me out by making a pledge online at www.creatingmagic.org/bfks/kenleccese.
Enjoy the high school or college basketball this weekend or if you get a chance, take a trip to one the maple sugar houses doing an open house in Warren or Washington counties.  You'll have a blast...Leccese out.

No comments: