Monday, March 26, 2012

You knew the warm weather wouldn't last, didn't you?

Hi there.  Honestly, did you think that those 70's and near 80's were gonna last?  One of the things about being a gardener in this area is expect the unexpected.  Trust me, I was tempted by the siren's call of this recent warm weather to start the lettuce seeds outside, but I knew better.  It can wait another 3 to 4 weeks.
Ohio State, Kentucky, Louisville, and Kansas.  Not a bad Final Four group if you ask me.  Of the four elite eight games, I watched parts of two that were played on Saturday.  The one that intrigued me the most was the Louisville/Florida game and how 25 years ago a then up and coming coach by the name of Rick Pitino took the Providence Friars who had a guard by the name of Billy Donovan on an amazing run to the Final Four. Teacher coaching against one of his grown up pupils.  I loved that Providence team and the way they played defense and made three pointers.  What people forget is that it was such a rough time personally for Pitino and his family.  He had a son named Daniel die as an infant during that stretch and coaching that team was his way to get away from that agony and sadness.
So Tim Tebow is a Jet.  Here's my take on it.  Can he help them win?  I think so.  He'll sell a lot of jerseys, t-shirts and other Jets apparel.  The past 2 years and change the Jets have been making headlines with the brashness of Rex Ryan, the trips to the AFC championship games and other statements about the new stadium in the Meadowlands being theirs.  So what happened?  The worst possible thing.  The Giants quietly made a statement by winning a play-off game at home after putting up so many stinkers in the new stadium and going on another road run finishing it off by beating Brady and Belichick a second time in 5 years for another Super Bowl title.
I don't what is making me more uneasy as the hockey playoffs approach.  The Phantoms not making the playoffs for the third straight year; or the way the Pittsburgh Penguins have been chasing down and creeping ever so closer and closer to the Rangers for the top spot in the Eastern Conference.  If Sidney Crosby keeps getting healthier, better watch out.   The Pens will be awfully tough to beat.
Kind of sad this morning.  Heard about the passing of a great author as well as a boxing and sports historian, Bert Sugar.  He was one of those old school guys who you could listen talk for hours on end.  His voice, trademark fedora hat and cigar.  Gonna miss him. He left us too soon.
As a public service announcement, since March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness month, I declare it is not my fantasy to join Ozzy Osbourne on a trip to New York to get a colonoscopy!  Between the radio and tv promos on CBS owned media properties, I will be glad when March ends this Saturday.
 Love this story.  A kid from Tartan High School in Oakdale Minnesota got creative when it came to finding a date for his senior prom.  He sent out tweets to adult film stars asking if they would like to go with him.  2 said yes, but the school board said no.  Which is fine and I understand their concerns, which were legit.  However I get the impression that none of the school board members had seen the teen movie, "The Girl Next Door."  Funny movie that can be a guilty pleasure every now and then.
So a recent dating survey found that 50 percent of men would choose looks over intelligence when it came to going out with a woman.  That same survey also revealed that 80 percent of men are intimidated by smart women.  I want both.  You know Sofia Vergara looks with Megyn Kelly smarts rolled into one nice package.
 Finally a big thanks from the bottom of my heart to everyone who supported me, Mike and Jason for Bowl for Kids Sake with a donation.  I love to bowl.  I'll watch the PBA tour on Bristol Tech; and any time I can use my mediocre athletic abilities to raise funds for a good cause, I'm in.  The same goes for the occasional charity golf tournament that you'll see me at.  By the way, they raised over 83 thousand dollars this year!...Happy Birthday Dr.Stevens.  You're a treasured friend to this gym freak...Leccese out.

No comments: