Sunday, January 6, 2013

Venting (and we're not talking about attaching the connection to the clothes dryer)

Hi there.  First entry of 2013 and sometime during the middle of next month this blog turns 5 years old.  O.K. as for the New Year, I did what I always do. Sleep through it so I didn't stay awake or re-awake to welcome it in.  Normally I work New Year's Day, but for once I asked out and used New Years Eve to recover from 2 1/2 weeks of going on the air early at noon while Mike was on vacation the week before Christmas and 8 days of morning drive on both stations.  I was in bed by 9:30.  Some party animal I am, lol.  I also spent New Years going through about 10 different gift cards, finding out balances on them and in the case of some of them, buying stuff and finishing the cards off.  Purchased a new wireless mouse, dozen golf balls, an item of clothing and a couple of packs of seeds for garden 2013.
On to other things.  As much as I love living in this home that my parents built 32 years ago as a weekend getaway place and now is my permanent residence, I think its time they sell it.  When something needs to be replaced or repaired its a hassle.  It's never simple.  You knew about the hot water heater troubles last year, well now its the washer/dryer. So we ordered and bought the replacements a week ago Monday.  They were supposed to be delivered and installed Friday.  So Friday comes and they are delivered in an 18 wheeler and the two geniuses had no way to get them up the driveway and into my home!    What ever happened load and deliver them in a small truck, drive up my driveway, use a dolly to take them off the truck, open up my front or patio door, take out the old units and put them in the truck and then install the new ones. The store that I bought these from was the same one I bought the old set from.
On to more venting and not of the appliance kind.  First is answering the phone at the radio station.  For once I wish when I answer it, someone would say hello and recognize its me on the other end.  People may find this hard to believe, but we all don't live at the radio station 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  I love it when someone calls on the CKM studio or the main business lines during the afternoon I pick the phone up and they assume its Pete, Dan, Mike, Mr. Ashworth or even Lee Pecue.  Do I sound like any of those gentlemen?  Perfect example was during the week between Christmas and New Years doing the Morning Club and the guys were on vacation.  People with a birthday or a cancellation would call, I'd pick up, answer and they'd reply, "Pete I have a birthday" or " Pete, can I get this announced on the radio?" 
One more vent.  Breakfast with the Beatles isn't going away folks.  We like the show.  Dennis Mitchell does a terrific job hosting and putting it together.  Look,  I completely understand if you don't like The Beatles. Bottom line is this.  If you don't like some of the things we do on the air or some of the personalities that are on any of our radio stations,  listen to something else or turn off the radio during the times that person or show is on.   I personally don't get offended or my feelings get hurt when you change the dial if I'm on the air.
The notion that Kanye West and Kim Kardashian have procreated and will bring a child into this world sometime during 2013 just scares the living daylights out of me.  As of today this is a Kardashian/West baby free zone.  Kimmy's mom Kris is thinking, "That kid is a 16 million dollar pay day!"  *Cha-Ching!"
Well now that Christmas has past, its time for the "Invasion of the seed catalogs."  I've received on average at least 2 garden or seed catalogs a day since Christmas though today being the 6th of January.
Congrats to Jim Boeheim for reaching 900 career wins.  There was a great article in USA Today about him talking about his time in the Big East and how now its a fractured conference. The late Dave Gavitt must be looking down on us and thinking, "What happened to my simple little basketball conference."  We all know.  Football drives the armored truck in college sports.  Not in my wildest dreams could I imagine Rutgers playing in the Big 10, now soon to be with 14 members.  
O.K. we will have a hockey season.  I still think Gary Bettman should have cancelled it back in October just to stick those bridge trolls Don and Steve Fehr. 
Heading to laundrymat...Leccese out.



No comments: