Sunday, August 4, 2013

Just call me, "The Golf Mumbler."

Hi there.  There is nothing better on a Sunday than relaxing with everything on your list of things to do, done. So here I am catching up and writing this entry.
The title of this entry comes from an 18 hole experience in futility last Sunday known as playing golf with my Dad.  I wonder if all golfers do this.  Talk to yourself after every shot bad or good.  You hit a good shot and you start talking to ball asking it to draw, fade, get legs, come back or if your putting break more and go in the hole.  You hit a bad shot and you start using your full name and wonder aloud to the golfing gods why you even play this game.  Last week the pretty girl was completely ignoring me. (If you've ever read this blog and read my humorous view on golf, you'll laugh and know where I'm coming from.)  You've heard of the those people who talk to animals like the "Horse Whisperer."  Just call me the "Golf Mumbler."  I don't think we'll be winning any father and son team events anytime soon.
We've all had our "on the verge of road rage" moments and it happened to me not once but twice in the past week.  The first occurred Wednesday night heading home and while on Quaker Road around the Quaker Plaza two Mensa Society members who were following one an other made a complete U-turn from the east bound lanes and headed back west right in front of me and someone else at around 7pm.  The second one occurred yesterday when a genius from Vermont cut in front of me at the last minute from the right hand lane to get on the Northway at Exit 20 northbound when the traffic light turned on the left turn signal.  I wouldn't have minded that except the Nobel prize winner didn't use his turn signal!  That is my biggest pet peeve.  People who don't use their turn signals when passing or actually turning!  Using the cell phone, texting thing while behind the wheel is number 2.  It's great to be able to multi-task, but not while driving please.
Would someone tell Bud Selig to stop stalling and just announce the damn suspensions in the Bio-Genesis black cloud that is hovering over and has been the talk of baseball.  As for Alex Rodriguez, I don't think he should be banned from the game.  Suspend him for the rest of this year and til next years' All-Star game.  We often forget that when this whole steroid, performance enhancing drug, growth hormone, supplement stuff came up the owners were criticized for looking the other way.  There is some truth to that but remember one thing.  The players union was so powerful at that time under Donald Fehr and Gene Orza that getting any sort of testing in a collective bargaining agreement would have never happened!  It took congressional hearings to finally knock the unions power down a couple of notches.  I've also read that there is a chance that Fehr might come back to help the union and their current leader Michael Weiner. 
One more thing regarding the whole PED mess in any sport.  The labs who make the stuff will always try to be one step ahead of the people who make the tests.
Riley Cooper, welcome to Paula Deen's world. 
I had the pleasure of attending Wayne Stock VI at the North Creek ski bowl for a couple of hours.  It benefits a great charity called the North Country Helpers Fund.  If you've never been to the Ski Bowl its a great place with basketball and tennis courts, ball fields.  I heard the skiing is good in the winter too. Amazing performers and other activities were going on.  I met some wonderful people there, but to be honest I was out of my usual element.
Is it possible for the Mets score some runs for Matt Harvey please!
This weeks sign of the apocalypse.  Is Ellen DeGeneres really the best person the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences could find to host next years Oscar ceremony?  
My favorite charity fundraising thing we do at WCKM takes place Tuesday night.  Go-Cart race at Adventure Family Fun Center at 6pm.  Love to see you there to support the drivers and have some fun with us.
Note to all my friends.  Having a good zucchini harvest so far and that means one thing.  I've got some baking to do.  Now where's that zucchini bread/muffin recipe.
Finally, In this world where NFL players are tearing up knees, bi-ceps, achilles, and having other season ending injuries during training camp, we have the case of Barry Church. The defensive back had to have root canal and dental surgery after chipping a tooth while eating a cherry Jolly Rancher candy.  How 'bout them Cowboys! 
Two weeks til first high school football practice...Leccese out.


No comments: