Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Numbers Game

Hi there.  This is the week where I begin going all out into football mode.  Reading all the area papers every day that cover Section 2 for any info and just two days into practices the dreaded "N" word hit me like sledgehammer.  That word is numbers.  Salem which made it to the Section 2 Class D finals had only 15 kids try out.! You need at least 16 to play and then the kids must have 11 practices to scrimmage and 15 to play in a game.  They've already forfeited their opener.  What is happening?  The numbers game is affecting not just football. Soccer, field hockey and ice hockey.  You have lots of kids playing in various youth programs, but for some reason many stop playing after they reach middle school.  It is burnout?  Is it this desire to just play one sport and make travel teams, hoping that a college will be interested down the road?  With football, the concussion fear looms like a huge weight over every parents head now a days and with just concern.  They are afraid to have a son play football.  I played soccer til I was in high school and I stopped playing because it wasn't fun anymore and I also knew that I wasn't good enough of a player to make varsity or even the JV team.   There are more distractions than ever. The personal electronic devise age hadn't arrived yet when I grew up and my Mom and my friends parents wouldn't let us have Atari or Intellivision marathon gaming sessions everyday.  The nearest mall and arcade was 20 minutes from my house.   Times have definitely changed alright.  I'll be heading to practices at high schools this week and I'll have to ask my coaching friends that dreaded question.  How are your numbers this year?
On to other things.
I know just enough about horse racing to get by, but I didn't expect Will Take Charge to do so and win the Travers.  Didn't get the chance to watch the race, so You Tube here I come.
What ever happened to old fashioned romance?  A couple interesting notes from our show prep this week.  Nick Cannon, husband of Mariah Carey said that changing one of his kids diapers at night with his wife is romantic.  Not in my world it is.  Also there was this survey where a percentage of men felt a sense of guilt when giving their significant other flowers.  Women also were asked in the survey about romantic gestures and two interesting ones that made the list were putting down the toilet seat and handing over control of the remote.  What ever happened to opening the car door, pulling out the seat in restaurant or offering up an umbrella or your coat when it rains?
Ben Affleck as Batman.  I understand the controversy and it makes for great discussion on a blog like this and other social media sites.  Here's my view.  He tried the superhero thing in Dare Devil so there is only one way to go and that is up.  Not one of his better performances.  
It's starting to wear on my nerves that everyday I end up picking a zucchini, yellow squash, or cucumber from the garden.  Still waiting on the big 3 and  I promised myself that I wouldn't dump out the potatoes that are growing in the bags until September 8th.  It's gonna be a long two weeks.
My niece Morgan came up from North Carolina to visit for a few days and she was so happy to see and hang out with my cat.  I'm learning more and more about them all time and it has me shaking my head sometimes.  They were best friends for about a day.  Then came the day Morgan was brushing her gently.  Meow is purring away, then looks back to see who was doing the brushing, and ran for her safe spot which is under my bed. Was very disappointed about that moment.  
An earthquake hit Warren County this morning?  Really?  And about 13 miles from where I live!  Was I only one who didn't feel it?
Last but not least.  Two of my good friends tied the knot Thursday and they make a great couple.  They had the reception type get together yesterday. Very casual.  Was able to make the end of it.  I don't what I was more happier about.  Seeing the bottle of rum from Albany Distilling that I gave the groom for his 50th birthday two weeks earlier sitting at the bar; or the fact the real life Lucas, a.k.a me got the chance to dance with a really pretty girl.  It doesn't happen that often...Leccese out.


No comments: