Sunday, May 3, 2009

Big wet hats, watered down Mint Juleps and other weekend thoughts

Hi there. Well here I am typing away after a weekend that had both drama and excitement. Lets start with the Kentucky Derby where a muddy track didn't damper the spirits of a 50-1 shot named Mine that Bird with Calvin Borel aboard that won the Run for the Roses. I was driving home from my Body Combat workout when I heard the news that I Want Revenge was a morning scratch due to some ankle inflammation. I knew it was going to be a wide open race and it was. It was also a great race. Calvin Borel rode brilliantly as he guided Mine that Bird from the top of the front stretch, found the hole on the inside rail and the horse took off and won in convincing fashion by nearly 7 lengths. As for NBC's coverage did we really need Bob Costas and even worse Nancy O'Dell hosting a red carpet special like we see at all the Hollywood award shows? Tom Hammond is terrific as host. Tom Durkin could read the yellow pages and make them sound exciting. This was an instance where less would have more. As we head to Pimlico and the Preakness, an even bigger story than the race itself is the future of horse racing in Maryland. It's not looking too good right now.
I've lost a lot of respect for talented sportswriter Selena Roberts with this biography of Alex Rodriguez coming out in the next few days. I know A-Rod has brought a lot of that stuff upon himself, but he deserves better treatment than the witch hunt that has occurred to him.
Mets GM Omar Minaya said the other day that his team needed to play with a little edge. Talk about an epiphany. Shawn Kelly and yours truly who are the Mets fans here at the radio station could have told you that. The Mets need a guy who can fire the team up and will run through a brick wall head first to win a ballgame. Stop being worried that every other team will hate you if you show some swagger. The way things are going with the pitching staff, I'm starting to like Dan Warthen as much as I did Rick Peterson. That's not a good thing for Mr. Warthen's sake.
It's nice to see the Yankees have dropped the price on those seats from $2,500 per game to $1,250. I think I may have to reconsider my two Phantoms season tickets and take advantage of that bargain... Not!
I wonder if George Steinbrenner or Jerry Jones are just a bit envious of the LA Dodgers. It seems that the Chavez Ravine area where Dodger Stadium is located is getting its own zip code and it will be unveiled on a nationally televised game against the Phillies.
Speaking of the Cowboys, gotta send out a speedy recovery to the 12 people injured when a violent thunderstorm with tornado like winds ripped to shreds and brought down the Cowboys indoor practice facility. Saw some of the video footage. That was scary stuff.
Somebody at the NFL has come up with the crazy idea of making the draft even longer by stretching it out to 3 days. It starts with showing the 1st round in prime time. Then day two you get the 2nd and 3rd rounds, and on day three rounds 4 through 7. I'll admit I can sit in front of the television and watch the draft for some reasonable amount of time. But 3 days!!! I can only stomach so much. I wanna get off this ride now!
What's worse, the Jets releasing Brett Favre or the team even having thoughts of signing Plaxico Burress?
Couple more words on the Phantoms. When the news came out Wednesday the team was coming, it would have normally been the top local sports story on all the Albany area television stations. I'm not making this up. It was topped by the Firebirds arena football league team actually considering offering Michael Vick a contract to play for them. Not a good move, guys. The other thing was the ad on the back page of the sports section of Sunday's Post Star that welcomed back Glens Falls to the AHL. I assume it was purchased by the RiverRats.
Finally this note to John Kincade who's a talented fill-in and weekend host over on Bristol Tech radio. I love listening to your show and despite my error, the offer still stands. Come enjoy a game and root for the opponent...Leccese out.

No comments: