Sunday, May 17, 2009

Buying a new pair of skinny jeans and maybe I should switch to hydroponics

Hi there. As I write this entry, both my back and hip are smothered in Icy Hot. There's nothing like the smell of ointment to make you feel better. How did this happen you ask? Very simple, gardening. I've been a slacker when it comes to getting the soil ready for planting, so I decided this was the weekend to get it done. Headed to a local store and purchased 14 bags of top soil and manure. You read right 14 bags of the stuff and I'm buying another 10 more. So there I was playing in the dirt for 3 hours. Digging, turning over, incorporating, smoothing out, adding fertilizer and other nutrients. Talk about a pain in the tuchis! My back at one point asked, "Have you ever considered hydroponic gardening?" I've also been hardening the plants that I started inside. What I mean by hardening is before you actually put them in the ground, you have to get them used to being outside.
The other thing I did this weekend was buy a new pair of jeans and khaki pants. Size 38 waist. Yes!!!!! I should be happy with the 30 pounds I've lost so far, but I want those last 12 to 14 to come off and it hasn't been easy. I haven't missed a workout in 10 days and I know I'm long overdue for a day off.
Last week I mentioned my friend Jody Nolan who noticed the weight loss. I've been sort of in a workout funk and not in the mood to talk to anyone when at the gym. Even she or Jen Bean, another person I work out with couldn't cheer me up. I actually gained 2 pounds and wasn't happy about it.
One thing that did cheer me up was seeing a highlight of Uncle Richard slapping Kobe with a technical foul. Kobe is what's wrong with the NBA, not what's right with it. Are you reading this Commissioner Stern?
If the Association had more people like the late Wayman Tisdale playing, I'd watch more often. His passing made me consider my own mortality. One of Dan Miner's best friends unfortunately passed away suddenly last week and when 2 people die who are the same age as you are, it makes you think about it longer than you'd like to.
I don't what Twitter and all the fuss about it is, but if NFL super agent Drew Rosenhaus is using it, it can't be a good thing.
Is there anyone out there right now who could use a hug more than Carrie Prejean? She answered one question not to the liking of one of the judges during the Miss USA pageant. Since then her life has become a witch hunt and she's the poster child for supposedly everything that's wrong with America. So much for the first amendment.
Here's an update regarding Tyler Frost. He's the young man who goes to an ultra conservative religious school in Ohio with the strict code of conduct. They threatened to suspend him if he went to a prom with his girlfriend who attends public school. He went to the prom and the school suspended him.
Who are John and Kate Gosselin anyway and why should I even care about their marital problems?
We do actually have sports stuff to talk about. It's nice to know that Michael Phelps has made swimming relevant in a non Olympic year. He returned to the pool and lost in some event. Sorry I missed it.
From Major League Baseball we've got not one, but 2 goodies. The first being Angels pitcher John Lackey who got tossed after throwing only 2 pitches in his first start. Oops.
The other comes from the Marlins Chris Coghlan who hit his first big league home run against the Brewers and the ball got held for ransom by some moron. Chris took a picture with the guy and gave him an autographed bat. It wasn't enough. The genius also wanted an autographed ball and bat from Hanley Ramirez and tickets to one of the Marlins interleague games against the Yankees. I'm not kidding. In reading the article, the person who caught the ball calls himself "The Happy Youngster" and claims to have caught nearly 50 home runs. Luckily for Chris, he got the ball and didn't cave into the demands. Whatever happened to just doing a nice thing and giving the player the ball with no strings attached.
Dallas Maverick's owner Mark Cuban was afflicted by yet another case of foot in mouth disease. He told Kenyon Martin's mom to her face that her son was a thug. He ended up apologizing to her on his blog. I think it's about time David Stern told Mark Cuban to go home, back to his basement and start up a new game of Dungeons and Dragons or hold that long over due chess club reunion that's been in the works.
In the past 2 weeks horse racing got a well needed dose of good publicity with the wins by Mine that Bird and Rachel Alexandra in the first two triple crown races. Calvin Borel has had a pretty good couple of weeks if you ask me.
My folks have been home all of 2 days and if you want to know about the power of radio, read this. Mom goes to church, sees a friend and during the conversation the friend asks if mother and son have gone to see Star Trek yet because I brought it up on the air. No it hasn't happened. Son has been too busy trying to get caught up with things like his garden and other stuff.
It's the middle of May and I still haven't played that first round of golf. What confounds me is that I don't miss playing.
Finally we've got this weeks sign of the apocalypse. They've been holding tryouts for the Lingerie Football League! Now I've seen everything and I want to take out my contacts and look at things blurry for a while...Leccese out.

No comments: