Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Next time, wait to feed the horses and other observations

Hi There. Had the chance to experience something that was amazing and humbling at the same time. It was a funeral. I know you're saying, "a funeral?" In July my Uncle Al past away at 88 years of age. He was a lieutenant in the Navy. The more I've gotten to know about him, the more I've realized what a fascinating person he was. His funeral took place Monday at Arlington National Cemetery and it was a full military funeral with honors. It had a 21 gun salute, military band, and a horse drawn carriage taking the casket to his final resting place. It was classy and my uncle wanted it that way. The only draw back was the horses having to...you know...do their business along the route to his grave site. We had the option of getting in a car or walking behind them. I walked as many of my family members did. I thought it would make me depressed seeing all the tombstones and passing where President Kennedy was buried, but it didn't. I felt a sense re-affirmation about the values and beliefs this country was founded on and are still trying to uphold. I've never really spent any time in Washington D.C. and just driving around, you get a history lesson just looking through the window of the car. Seeing the dome of the Jefferson Memorial. The beauty of the three spires of the Air Force Monument and the Pentagon itself. The immense size of the Iwo Jima Memorial and the presence of the Washington Monument everywhere in the background. It is interesting that I'm writing about this experience on Veterans Day, so a big thanks to those who have served and are serving.
On to other stuff. First it was Rachel Alexandra and then Zenyatta beating up the boys, winning the Breeders Cup Classic. If Rachel Alexandra had run and won in the Breeders Cup, she would have won the Eclipse Award for Horse of the Year. It's now Zenyatta's to lose.
Loved that one fans' sign that CBS put on screen during the Giants/Chargers game. I told you LaDainian Tomlinson, L.T. stands for Lawrence Taylor. In a sad coincidence, the Giant linebacker got arrested again. This time for leaving the scene of an accident later that night.
As for the upset specials. Another 1 for 2 week. Lost on LSU, win on the Titans.
Normally, I love to slam and mock Bristol Tech when I get the chance; but I do praise them on occasion when its justified. Today is one of those days. In celebration of their 30th anniversary, they are doing a short film series called 30 in 30. I've watched a few of them and they've all been great. Last night saw one on the life of Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder. This movie was that good. Learning about his life. He and his wife lost 3 children to cystic fibrosis. The memories of the original NFL Today on CBS with Brent Musburger, Irv Cross and Phyllis George. That was the pre-game show, before there were pre-game shows. If they re-air this short film, it's a must watch. Phyllis George still is stunning looking by the way.
Thursday night Big Brothers/Big Sisters is honoring our morning show at their annual awards banquet. So props to the boys for a job well done. Hurray for us!
I thought choosing nine football games to broadcast was hard. I just got the Foothills Council and Adirondack League Basketball schedules, both boys and girls. There's a lot of work ahead of me.
Adopt a Child has started, so don't forget to help a kid have a merrier Christmas. Your generosity always amazes me and you've never let me down.
The British soccer hooligans must have loved seeing the two videos of those women's soccer games that have gotten so much air recently. Punching, shoving, violent tripping and tackling, and hair pulling. It probably brought a tear to their eye.
I know, still no photos of me with a beautiful woman in the "Greenhouse Effect." Keep holding that candlelight vigil.
Upset specials later in the week and the countdown to seeing, "The Man" has begun...Leccese out.

No comments: