Friday, November 20, 2009

Time for "Sing A Long with Colin" and your upset specials

Hi There. Its Friday and that means your upset specials, but before we go in depth on this weekends' picks. Lets take a look at some other things I've noticed this past week or have forgot to mention.
The Greenhouse Effect is a "Twilight-New Moon" free zone. An observation: This country sort of has this curiosity/infatuation with vampires and organized crime shows and movies. I'm not immune to this either. If I'm channel surfing and I find it on, I'll watch "The Sopranos." FYI- I never watched it and didn't care about it when it was on HBO. Love the theme music on the opening credits.
Kellogg's is telling us that there will be a shortage of Eggo waffles due to damage to one of its bakeries in Georgia caused by flooding. Why do I have this strange feeling during this shortage, some mentally unstable individual will make a 911 call registering a complaint to police that their favorite supermarket is out of Eggo's and something has to be done. Remember I told you that a person actually called 911 complaining there wasn't enough cookie bits in a milkshake and another person called complaining that a fast food restaurant was out of chicken nuggets.
Stop the presses! Oprah will end her talk show in 2011. Has anyone told Steadman yet? What is the book club supposed to do when this happens in 20 months? Yet another sign that the apocalypse is upon us.
If you're a loyal reader, I've written a lot about celebrities who have passed away this year. There have been many. Here's another one for the file. Ken Ober. Remote Control, the best thing I ever loved about MTV. Sorry Jenny McCarthy and Carmen Electra, Singled Out did nothing for me. I would love to see some reruns of Remote Control for old times sake. When I heard of Ken Ober's passing, a flood of memories came back and a couple of new age spots exploded on my arm. One of my worst nightmares will be my niece asking me one day, "Uncle Kenny, is it true that MTV actually played music videos?"
Now on to sports. 86 year old Tennessee Titans owner Bud Adams was fined $250,000 for giving Buffalo Bills fans the "We're Number 1" salute with his middle fingers raised on both hands. Luv Ya Blue!
I forgot to mention this, but in all the glory of the AFL throwbacks, the Tampa Bay Bucs turned backed the clock 2 weeks ago and wore their original Tangerine and Ruby Red Grapefruit unis to victory. They looked good and it brought back memories. On the other hand, "Buccaneer Bruce" on the helmet is still creepy looking and causes some children to have nightmares or seizures.
Another reason to love the NHL. How they report injuries. They keep it simple and vague at the same time. Upper body or lower body injury. Day to Day. It makes the NFL weekly injury reports and their use of doubtful, questionable, probable, most likely, out and other terms read like a masters thesis.
The New Jersey Nets are 0-12 and Lawrence Frank still has a job. What's wrong with that picture? The other thing I find interesting about the Nets they've had a rash of early season injuries. Don't you think it would make sense to call up some bodies from the Development League instead of playing with only the league minimum of 8? Yep, Nets have definitely returned to the abyss of being the LA Clippers of the Eastern Conference...Again!
College basketball's silly season is underway and I'm wondering when I'll see Syracuse or some other big conference school play the South Harmon Institute of Technology on ESPNU.
O.K. for the Upset Specials. Got to keep the momentum going after finally having a 2 for 2 weekend last time out. College upset special. I've got the PAC-10 on my mind again and its a toss up between 2 games. I've flipped the coin and it comes up the Cal Bears over the Stanford Cardinal who has a let down after thumping USC. Now for the pro upset special. Its not a great week but I have to pick one so we go with Denver at home over the Chargers. Knowshon Moreno runs roughshod through the Bolts "D"and the Broncos end that 3 game slide before their Thanksgiving night match-up with the Giants.
One last thing. If the administrations of both Notre Dame and Michigan had any common sense, they would keep Charlie Weis and Rich Rodriguez as their football coaches. Enough with the rumors and the possible Bataan death march sentence that might be coming their way.
Enjoy the weekend...Leccese out.

No comments: