Sunday, February 21, 2010

There's something hypnotic about watching people slide rocks down a sheet of ice into a bullseye

Hi there. Just waiting for the curling or PBA tour to come on so I can kill time before the USA/Canada hockey game on one of the peacock networks cable spin offs. I'm discovering that I'm not the only one who is mesmerized by watching curling. A couple of the staff at the radio stadium is also into it. I know it reminds most people of those crazy lawn games you play at picnics and family reunions. O.K. so its bocce on ice. But sliding a rock that only comes from some island off the coast of Scotland down a sheet of ice where people broom it to reduce friction into a target can be hypnotic and compelling at the same time. It grabs you and forces you into watching it.
I think the next new Winter Olympic event should be moving target biathlon. Cross country ski for like 3 miles, then go to the shooting station where they have those moving targets on a conveyor belt like at the arcade. Dan gave me this one. There's something frightening about a woman on skis with a 22 caliber rifle.
Come on hockey fans. Admit it. You were rooting for Switzerland to pull off the upset of Canada just see half the host country go into suicide watch over the loss.
I think NBC should let Al Michaels out of the hosting studio one day to call a hockey game. Send Kenny Albert to the penalty box with a game misconduct for nepotism. Where's Dave Strader when we need him?
It doesn't matter how old I'll be, if there's a story about the 1980 US Hockey team, I'm watching it.
Someday the world will end poverty, hunger, cure diseases, and everyone will live peacefully. It still won't be able to solve the problem of alleged judging improprieties in figure skating.
During the Phantoms game Friday a famous line came to mind from "Major League" as Joey Mormina was send to the penalty box for a 10 minute misconduct. "We got hosed on that call."
For a brief moment, The Greenhouse Effect will actually talk about American Idol. Two things caught my attention. One being that Howard Stern wants to replace Simon Cowell as a judge. You're kidding me right? The other that Ellen wants a $150,000 wardrobe allowance. I could maybe see it for Kara, but all Ellen needs to do is buy off the bargain rack at the Men's Warehouse, Jonathan Reid or some other store.
I was working out at the gym when Tiger Woods read his statement to the press. The last time I felt that kind of pain was back in 1995 at the Redwings media lunch and everyone and everything stopped to watch the OJ verdict.
So how do you recover from being a sex addict? Keep dropping ice down your pants into the family jewels region to prevent even the slightest urges?
I got to call not one, but two great Adirondack League basketball championship games at A.C.C last Tuesday night. Bring on the Sectionals. I do think the Section 2 fan code of conduct needs be amended to at least let the fans try to psych out a free throw shooter at the foul line. Some of the stuff my friends uttered in high school and college would get us arrested and kicked out of the gym. If I want silence, I'll watch tennis or golf.
Finally, I was at the eye doctor and I noticed a sale on sunglasses. 45 percent off select pairs. I picked up one, tried them on and thought,"they look good." I asked what the price was and they were more expensive then my appointment. Sunglasses are like playing a round of golf. There is a limit to what you should to pay to enjoy it...Leccese out.

No comments: