Monday, February 8, 2010

Thoughts about SuperBowl XLIV and bowling like Belmonte

Hi There. Well here it is the day after Super Bowl XLIV and birthday number XLIV. Thanks to my friends and co-workers who called, e-mailed or sent texts. I think from now on I will refer to my age in Roman numbers just like the Super Bowl. I originally planned on doing nothing, but I was so bored I went to Lake George and practiced for Bowl for Kids Sake and tried to learn to "Bowl like Belmonte." Jason Belmonte is from Australia and bowls on the PBA tour and he uses this unorthodox 2 handed style that has become all the rage. Lets just say I'll need a lot of practice. I've been watching videos online of this guy and how he bowls. Well after bowling two games trying his method I was more sore bowling than I am after a Combat workout at the gym. I've got 6 weeks to get this thing down and I will need those 6 weeks.
On to Super Bowl XLIV. I thought it was a great game and since I had no rooting interest in either team, I could just enjoy it and watch the commercials. Note to Roger Goodell, get the collective bargaining agreement done A.S.A.P and could you start the game at like say 4pm instead of 6:30. I thought the game was good and well played. You gotta love Sean Payton's gutsy call with the onside kick and in the end the Saints didn't panic and made the plays they needed to win. The Who (both surviving members) were great at halftime. Now for the commercials. There were four that really stood out in my mind. The Snickers ad with Betty White and Abe Vigoda (I thought Fish was dead!). The Homeaway.com ad that featured Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo as Clark and Ellen Griswold. Now for my favorite two. The runner up goes Volkswagon and the "punch buggy" ad with Stevie Wonder and Tracy Morgan. My favorite ad hands down was the Doritos ad with the kid telling the guy after he checked his Mom out, "2 rules. Keep your hands off my Momma, and keep your hands off my Doritos." And an honorable mention from the "It was so bad, but it was really funny" category goes to Mike Ditka, Jim McMahon and other members of the '85 Bears in the SuperBowl Shuffle spoof for Boost Mobile. Seeing McMahon on that scooter and rapping was fall off the couch funny.
Besides Valentine's day coming up Sunday, the Winter Olympics (the better of the two) gets underway Friday night. Gotta love sports like curling and biathlon which combines skiing and shooting. Congrats Saints fans, no more wearing paper bags for you...Leccese out.

No comments: