Saturday, February 6, 2010

Turning XLIV and some other observations

Hi there. Well here I am on the eve of Super Bowl XLIV and the eve of another birthday. This one being number XLIV, just like the Super Bowl. Every once in a while around my birthday like right now I get depressed thinking I'm not a rock star or the lead singer in a band like my colleagues on the sister station. I'm not a star athlete or Mr. Recognizable like Dan. I'm not cute and lovable like Dubray, and no I did not bring Rock 'n Roll to Glen Falls and I won't have a star on the Glens Falls Walk of Fame like Cloutier will have someday when its created. I'm just the sports guy who grew up in NJ, calls games on the radio and is a touch different.
While I have this time, I haven't expressed my opinion about that show on MTV that has gotten a lot of buzz lately, Jersey Shore. First it was the Soprano's and now this farce. Jersey Shore hits closer to home since I grew up in Monmouth County and I know those towns kind of well. Most of the people who live there don't really look like the cast. What's the deal with all the body art on the guys. That really freaks me out, but body art in general does. I don't get it and don't understand the point of it. The Mensa Society must have had a hard time rejecting those geniuses for admittance and trust me many of my friends growing up wouldn't go near women like Snooki and J-Woww. They really do talk like that and it takes a lot of work to get rid of the accent.
Did you hear the story of how they want to suspend a 8 year kid from school because he was packing a 2 inch plastic toy gun from his Lego set in class. What is really stupider, the overstrict policy or the administration of the school for actually believing this kid was a Columbine like threat and potential menace to the other kids. What's gonna happen next when another kid decides to bring in the battleship piece from his Monopoly set. He's plotting to commit acts of piracy in the lunch room?
Here's another instance of the PC police at work. The cover of the Sports Illustrated Olympic preview issue features skier Lindsey Vonn in a full downhill tuck position. Mrs. Vonn happens be attractive so we have another instance of exploitation because of her good looks on our hands. NOT! Maybe the cover should have featured her taking a spill after losing an edge and flying through the air breaking her pelvis and getting a concussion at 80 mph. Here's another reason to buy that issue if you're not a subscriber. There's a story about BYU in it and Jimmer Fredette has his picture and gets mentioned.
Siena has won 14 straight, the Capitals have won 12 in a row, the Senators 10, and the LA Kings have put up a nice 9 game win streak of there own.
The Clippers must be getting jealous that the Nets are so bad, their own ineptness is being forgotten. So what do they do to remind everyone what a joke they are. They're considering Isiah Thomas for their coach or GM position. Knick and Pacer fans must be laughing so hard, their ribs are hurting.
Hey Kanye West, are you happy now that Beyonce won 6 Grammies and Taylor Swift only 4?
It's nice to see Megyn Kelly back from maternity leave after almost 6 months, but what's the deal with Fox News taking her off the morning show with Bill Hemmer?
One of the more popular choices that makes it way on to the tv sets at the gym where I work out is the daytime edition of "Deal or No Deal." Memo to Howie Mandell. Can you please bring back the hot models to open the cases instead of the contestant wannabees?
The best rivalry match-up in any high school sport in this area hands down is the "Stick Game" between Glens Falls and Queensbury. That was one heck of a hockey game Thursday night. From my vantage point, I thought it was a goal and the puck hit under the crossbar. John however didn't think so, and the debate rages on.
My Super Bowl pick. I like the Colts 38 - 24.
Finally I am turning XLIV and with this I defer to EK over at Bristol Tech who said if you want to reveal your age to a sports fan, just mention your favorite athlete who wore the number that corresponds to it. This year is a hard one. I have to choose from Hank Aaron, Jerry West, Reggie Jackson, Willie McCovey and Pete Maravich. I could even toss out Jim Brown who wore the number at Syracuse. I think I'll go with Hank Aaron, with Jerry West a close second. No cake and ice cream for me since I don't eat either of them anymore...Leccese older and out.

No comments: