Friday, December 31, 2010

Saying Farewell to 2010 and the final batch of Upset Specials

Hi there. Well here we are on the verge of another new year and the chance for some renewed optimism. We'll start with the final edition of "Opie's Upset Specials!" Yup this is last batch as this is the final week of the NFL regular season. So far 2 for 3 with wins for Syracuse and the Bengals, Giants took the gas pipe and we have one unknown since Notre Dame won't play til later today. For this final week, another 4 pack. Pro pick one, Browns over the Steelers in Cleveland. Pro pick two, love the Dolphins who are 6 and 1 on the road but only 1 and 7 at home to beat the Patriots in Foxboro. Two Bowl Picks: TCU over Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl and Michigan State over Alabama in the Capital One Bowl.
This was the first year in a long time that WWSC didn't broadcast any Grandstanders hockey and there was a good reason. Location, location, location. If the games were at the Civic Center we would have tried to do at least one day, but with the Phantoms home, the games were at the Rec Center. Besides being cold, the Rec Center is a logistical nightmare. With all the technological advances, you still can't get cell service in the building. That's a big strike against us broadcast wise. The occasional home game is O.K., but having to spend between 5 and 6 hours for the two games we would normally do is tough.
I want to comment on Brett Favre, but this is a Jenn Sterger free zone.
Heading back to the chiropractor for some treatment on my back, which is acting up again.
I didn't comment on this last week, but what am I gonna do on Saturday mornings when I get off the air at 9am and head home or to the gym for combat class? This weeks sign of the apocalypse came when I heard the news that my favorite personality on Bristol Tech radio, Erik Kuselias is leaving for of all places The Golf Channel. E.K. gonna miss you. Why couldn't you stay and permanently replace that guy who starred with Zach and Slater on "Saved by the Bell, the College years" who co-hosts the morning show. Oops, my bad, wrong Golic.
Note to Rob Botruck, voice of the Phantoms. When you go over the pronunciations of players names with Dan before the game, also go over the names of the ref and linesmen. You butchered one real bad Wednesday night.
Why would anybody want to drop Nicole "Snooki"Polizzi enclosed in glass ball to ring in the New Year? That's crazy. Dropping her on her head to ring in the New Year, now that I would pay good money to see that happen.
I've made my resolutions for 2011 and they are the usual. Lose weight and eat less and healthier. Save more money. Golf more. Make time to visit my family more often then just seeing them at funerals or weddings. Head down to South Carolina and relax for a couple days at the family compound on Fripp Island, and one more. I'm gonna try harder to ignore the people and stuff that surrounds me that drives me insane and not comment about it. Just keep my mouth shut, put my nose to the grind stone and work just a little harder and not be distracted.
Finally thanks to all you loyal readers for overall another good year. "The Greenhouse Effect" is just another diversion from life's daily grind. Looking forward to another crazy, up and down 2011 and hope you can join me on the e-ticket ride...Leccese out

No comments: