Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Killing gift cards and other weekend thoughts

Hi there and Happy New Year. I hope you enjoyed the New Year and haven't already failed in your efforts to keep your resolutions.
Most of the weekend seemed like a blur. I'm not a big New Years celebration type person and I had to be at the radio station at 4:30 New Years' morning, so I was in bed by 9:30. Friday and Saturday I was at one of 3 places. Home, the office and the Civic Center for the 2 Phantoms games. Sunday it was the post holiday clean-up. Trip to the landfill, exchange a gift, and write thank you notes to family members who sent me a gift and to the people who made contributions to the Operation Santa Claus charity auction.
The hardest part of my Sunday revolved around believe it or not...gift cards. I have this box that I keep them in. Besides the 9 new ones I received this Christmas, in this box were 11 old ones that had either expired or had small amounts on them that I didn't know how much. I spent 30 minutes online, typing in codes and getting the amounts, writing them on post it notes and sticking them to the cards. Yesterday, I mailed out 4 old expired cards to one local business and going to 4 other businesses killing their cards off. I also discovered in my card collection that my favorite places are Red Lobster and Panera Bread.
I'm going to the chiropractor Wednesday to have my back treated so I can workout and take fitness classes again pain free. By coincidence, I got this card in the mail from the place I used to go to offering me a free session. Not gonna happen.
On to other things. It was nice to see the Big Ten humbled going 0 for 5 in New Years Day bowl games. Upset Special wise, total loss except for TCU's win in the Rose Bowl. On a follow up note, Notre Dame did beat Miami in the Sun Bowl.
Come on Randy Edsall, leaving UConn for the Maryland job? You're kidding me right? Didn't like playing second fiddle to Geno Auriemma and Jim Calhoun now did you.
So the Pitt Panthers hire this guy to replace Dave Wannstadt and end up firing him after 2 weeks on the job because he assaulted a woman over the weekend. Brilliant. That goes down with Notre Dame's smart hire of George O'Leary from Georgia Tech who was found to had lied on his coaching resume a few years back.
The Browns fired Eric Mangini and does anyone care that he actually was fired?
Forrest Gump of the NFL, namely Eli Manning said he is not a 25 interception quarterback. You're half right Forrest. You're a 18 directly picked off and 7 tipped balls by your receivers that got picked off qb. Eli, remember when you throw the ball, the guys on your side have a lower case "n y" on the helmets.
A miracle has finally occurred. An Adirondack Phantom won AHL Player of the Week! I shouldn't complain though, the team is starting to play better and winning 5 of your last 7 is a nice roll considering the abyss the team is already in.
Has the Tournament of Roses parade folks started scraping the bottom of the barrel when Paula Deen was named Grand Marshall? Or is this something Jeff Foxworthy can use in his, "You Might be a Redneck" routine?
Was briefly depressed when I found out that both Shania Twain and Valerie Bertinelli re-married over the weekend. However my spirits quickly rebounded when Elizabeth Hurley announced she is back in the dating pool...Leccese out.

No comments: