Sunday, July 10, 2011

A new entry about a lot of nothing. Kind of like a Seinfeld rerun, but not as funny

Hi there. So here I am in a really good happy place enjoying a Sunday afternoon writing this entry while watching a "No Reservations" marathon on the Travel Channel combined with the Guinness that I'm drinking by my side. This entry was inspired by one of Mike Lupica's columns, who I read religiously every Sunday morning before I watch, "The Sports Reporters."
Let us start with a trip to the dentist. Next to driving over bridges and open heights, I'm deathly afraid of the dentist. Thank god I didn't need braces growing up. That would have been a disaster! I fear and dread those trips to have my teeth examined twice a year. I'm not good in a dental chair. I will need some implants and cleaning done. I'll be O.K. since I'll be knocked out cold while the surgery takes place. Somehow I managed to survive and when the doctor put his arm around me and said, "I will help you get over this fear and I expect to see you sooner rather than later" I felt just a little bit better. Not really, but at least he tried to ease some of the fear.
Another thing I'm not good with are tools. Somehow I channelled Mr. Fix-it and actually replaced the ignition box in my Char-Broil professional 4 burner stainless steel grill. I love that grill! Any good cook or foodie knows the value and importance of a great grill and I've got one of those. Tim Allen and Bob Villa would have been proud of me. Took out some screws, removed a couple of side plates, opened up it up and got that bad boy working again like a finely tuned instrument. I felt so invigorated about my triumph that I wanted to head to the Craftsman Tool department at Sears and start looking at cordless power tools and ponder my next challenge.
Watched a Mets/Giants game hi-lights and I took one look at Giants closer Brian Wilson and wondered if that guy is in the witness protection program with that freaky looking beard of his. I've seen Halloween costumes and masks with better looking facial hair than his. Are you really growing it that way Brian, or is the government hiding you from somebody and is Brian really your name?
Derek Jeter who is the epitome of class got his 3,000 hit Saturday. You could be the biggest Yankee hater on the planet, but still like Derek Jeter. What was even classier was Christian Lopez, the young man who ended up with the prize ball, gave it back Jeter and really didn't want anything in return. The Yankees and Jeter gave him a lot of cool, good stuff. He made out O.K. However people are skewering this young man for not keeping the ball and making a fortune by selling it. You know what, there are still a lot good people in this world who are not consumed by greed or trying to get their 15 minutes of fame!
On a sadder note, you know by now what happened in Texas where a fan died trying to catch a ball thrown in the stands by outfielder Josh Hamilton. Leaned over the railing too far to grab it, fell about 20 feet, landed on his head and lost his life in a horrible tragic accident. You should say a prayer for both the family of this guy and Josh Hamilton. He feels real bad about this. I remember several years back a young hockey fan lost her life when a puck shot by Columbus BlueJackets forward Espen Knutsen accidentally struck her in the side of the head. Knutsen was never the same player.
Michael Douglas is one hell of an actor. Saw the sequel to "Wall Street" and it was an amazing film. Loved every minute of it. Really enjoyed the scene where Gordon Gekko bumped into Bud Fox at a charity function. "Greed is good, now it seems it's legal." to quote Mr. Gekko from the sequel.
I'm finding it hard to believe that their are that many women who really like camping. My idea of roughing it is not having room service, continental breakfast, or pay per view movies in the room at the hotel I'm staying at.
Political opinions aside, Anne Coulter is one attractive, woman who has the intelligence to go with the looks. The total package. And that's not the Guinness talking right now either.
Must watch music video, "Deer in Headlights" by Owl City. Any video that has the DeLorean time machine from "Back to the Future" is a good thing. The song itself isn't half bad either.
I mentioned this product in one my recent Facebook entries. Neutrogena Ultimate Sport SPF 70+ sun screen spray or lotion. It's good stuff...Leccese out.

No comments: