Monday, July 4, 2011

Some thoughts on the 4th of July

Hi there and Happy Birthday U.S.A. I celebrated the day that the Continental Congress approved the Declaration of Independence (remember, it wasn't signed until August 2nd) by doing nothing after being on the air. In doing some deep thought I realize that I take some of the freedoms our founding fathers fought the British over for granted. I don't vote, even though I should. I don't believe its an honor to serve on a jury. I think it should be an option, like military service to our country. As a member of the media, I am privileged to be afforded a Bill of Rights amendment that allows for Freedom of the Press, but in many cases we abuse those freedoms and over step the boundaries of respect and good taste. We should learn to use restraint more often than not.
I try not to talk politics in this blog, but its a different story when the topic is the national debt. Enough with the bi-partisan bickering and lets gets this spending in a down cycle economy under control. You want to why I don't vote? Here's why. Because no politician on any level from local, state, or federal has given me an answer on what we should do eliminate the national debt! Its O.K. to tax the wealthiest Americans more and eliminate many corporate tax breaks. These people made money because they are smart and they've already got a team of good accountants with knowledge of the tax laws who can easily figure out how to outsmart the I.R.S! I also think congress should re-instate the line item veto. If the president thinks we can't afford something, cut in out. That will eliminate some or even a lot of the pork barrel spending we hear so much about.
The last time I saw a zoo of reporters and analysis outside of a courtroom like I've seen during this Casey Anthony trial, there was a white Ford Bronco and a pair of bloody gloves involved in some double murder trial back in 1994 and 95.
Just when I thought the Phantoms' parent club were going be twiddling their thumbs this off season, the Flyers make a huge splash like an over weight guy doing a cannonball off the high dive. Trading both Jeff Carter and Mike Richards, then signing 39 year old Jaromir Jagr? The goaltending situation is more cloudier than a rainy day. They now have Bryzgalov, Leighton, Backlund, Boucher and Bobrovsky. We still don't know who Joe Paterson is going to have play in net for him.
The NBA is in lockout or work stoppage. Who cares.
Congrats to Jimmer on being picked 10th overall. My advice to him is to rent and not buy a place in Sacramento, since the Kings maybe heading to Anaheim next year.
As a Mets fan, I feel bad for Jason Bay. This guy has been nothing but a class act and I wish he would get his stroke back. I want him to succeed sooo bad. He's fought through injuries and having to play home games in that joke of ballpark Fred Wilpon built to pay homage to the Brooklyn Dodgers doesn't help. The game winning hit over the Yanks Sunday might just get some of that confidence back.
Another level of fitness hell has frozen over. The guy who is trying to make friends with the weights is taking a second Body Pump class during the week. That is one more than the Body Combat class that I love so much.
I have this feeling I'm going to have a lonely next couple of months. A new gym is opening up owned by some of the fitness instructors who teach the Les Mills classes I take and many of my gym freak friends are defecting over. Unfortunately my contract doesn't end til early next year and it doesn't have an out clause I can invoke. I am so screwed big time.
Finally Joey Chestnut ate how many hotdogs at this years Nathan's Famous Contest on Coney Island? 62 of them....Leccese out.

No comments: