Thursday, January 26, 2012

Blindsided by Buccaneer Bruce

Hi there.  This weeks entry (number 275 if you're keeping count) was supposed to be a short simple one that talked about the AFC and NFC championship games.  Well I go to check my e-mails and the headline read, "Bucs to hire Schiano."  I click on the headline and my heart sank.  I was a quarterback who just got sacked by the legendary Leroy Selmon.  The Tampa Bay Bucs were able to do what the University of Miami and Michigan couldn't do.  Convince Greg Schiano to leave Rutgers for their head coaching job.  Look I understand that change is part of what makes the world go round, and it was inevitable that the coach would leave someday for greener pastures.  When it happens though, you're never prepared.  Let me say this about Greg Schiano, if it weren't for him the only thing people would know about Rutgers football is that they played in the first college game against Princeton back in the 1860's.  I've been a Rutgers fan since high school when my close friend Eddie Farley got a scholarship to play football for Dick Anderson when he became head coach at the school.  So for about 20 years I had nothing to cheer about.  Rutgers was that bad.  Greg Schiano changed the losing culture into winning.  It took a couple of years.  Convinced great kids like Brian Leonard and Ray Rice to play for Rutgers and they started winning and got them to bowl games.  He also ran a clean program and his kids were student athletes who graduated.  You see Rutgers alums being drafted and playing in the NFL. Think about that kid Eric LeGrand.  Greg Schiano was at his bed side every night after that accident on the field.  Look at Eric LeGrand now and how's he's doing.  He's going to walk again someday.  Who ever Tim Pernetti chooses, that person has to replace the guy who made Rutgers relevant!  Big shoes to fill.  I compare the job Greg Schiano did at Rutgers to that of Bill Snyder at Kansas State.  He took a program that was so low down on the totem pole and took them to heights that no one thought was possible. 
As for the AFC and NFC championship games.  They were amazing games and that's what makes the NFL so special at times.  Both were classic 15 round heavyweight title fights and unfortunately only 2 had to be left standing.  I was happy about the two that were left standing.
Joe Paterno's recent death reminded me of the passing of another coaching legend, Paul "Bear" Bryant.  One month after he retired, he was gone.  Don't judge Joe Paterno by what happened in the end and the Jerry Sandusky stuff.  Remember him for all the good he did for Penn State and college athletics in general.
One non sports story.  Tim Gunn of fashion and style fame said he hasn't had sex in 29 years.  He's hasn't missed it.  Good for him.  I know that I'm not the most sexually experienced male on the planet.  It's been the butt of many jokes among my friends and co-workers and I don't mind the barbs at all.  I joke about it all the time.  I'm not ashamed of it.  Come on, I tell my listeners that two movies have been made about my life.  "The 40 year old Virgin" and "Failure to Launch."  However, in defense of my virginity I was brought up to believe and still do that you do it for the right reason.  You love someone and it's part of the relationship process.  I haven't met that person yet.  I have had opportunities, but it wasn't right.  The consequences weren't worth it.  I hope that makes sense.
Superbowl prediction next week and thanks Coach Schiano, Piscataway won't be the same without you and that's what worries me...Leccese out.

No comments: