Friday, January 6, 2012

The Invasion of the seed catalogs have begun

Hi there.   Happy New Year.  I assume an overwhelming majority of you loyal readers did not ring in the new year like I did.  In bed by 9:30pm and in a deep sleep not knowing whether the new year arrived or not.
O.K. its Wild Card weekend in the NFL and before I give you my picks, a re-cap of last weeks five.  2 for 5.  Wins for the Chargers and the Cincinnati Bearcats in their bowl game.  OT loss for Va Tech in the Sugar Bowl.  Texans go for the win and botch a 2 point conversion and lose to the Titans on the final play, and finally there was West Virginia's 70 - 33 drubbing of Clemson in the Orange Bowl.  I didn't see that one coming.  Wild card weekend picks plus a bowl game.  Bowl game.  K-State over Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl.  NFL picks.  Bengals, Saints, Giants and Steelers.
After looking at some of the scores in these bowl games, I would be very afraid if I were a defensive co-ordinator at a major college program.
Offensively these no huddle, spread, shotgun, pistol formations are driving me nuts.  It must make the defensive guys wake up with nightmares screaming audibles watching qb's at the line of scrimmage moving their arms pointing out schemes and a speed of sound pace like they've downed 3 or 4 of those energy drinks loaded with caffeine.
If 2010 was the year of marital infidelity, 2011 should go down as the year of celebrity divorces.  Katy Perry and Russell Brand no longer together after only 1 year. 
Moving on.  The invasion of the seed catalogs have arrived at the Garden Boys' home.  The count is currently 9 and growing.  And you thought the Christmas catalogs from gourmet food companies were endless.
I enjoyed the everything about the NHL Winter Classic, but I have to agree with John Tortorella about  the officiating.  I've mentioned this before: If the coaches and players have to address the media, so should the officials to explain calls and be under the same scrutiny.
I felt like a kid again watching the Alumni game.  Seeing the Ranger players I grew up idolizing playing against some of the Flyer greats of the Broad Street Bullies of the 70's.  You should have your hockey fan card taken away from you if you didn't get a chill seeing Bernie Parent play goal for those 5 minutes.
Three days into 2012 and states are holding caucuses and primaries that will affect the presidential election which occurs 10 months later.  Is there any way we can like shrink the campaign time?  The primary season goes on forever til like May.  Then the lull until the conventions in August or early September followed by debates and the actual voting.
Tiger Woods ex Elin Nordegren buys a 12 million dollar mansion and bulldozes the thing to build something else on the property.  I would love to see a place like that imploded with explosives shown on tv like they do old skyscrapers or sports stadiums.
Since I have Directv it doesn't affect me, but I'm feeling sorry for my Time Warner friends who've lost MSG Network over the usual right fees.  The only thing I care about when it comes to MSG is the whole Buffalo Sabres bs.
I've changed my relationship status to "single" on my Facebook page.  It's no longer complicated.  It stopped being funny.
Well I've made through one week of the kindlier, gentler, less angry Ken Leccese.  Giving up sarcasm is harder than I thought.  I'm comparing this to being a batter at the plate.  The pitcher gives him one right in his wheel house and instead of swinging for the fences, he keeps the bat on the shoulder and takes a called strike...Leccese out.

No comments: