Monday, September 8, 2008

I got them both right and other weekend observations

Hi There. Hard to believe that I got both of my upset specials right. I admit I'm no Nostradamus, but I was feeling real good when I saw E. Carolina 24 W.Virginia 3 Saturday and when the Panthers knocked off the Chargers in the final seconds yesterday. Trust me midnight will be striking any time now. On to other football observations from the weekend. We'll start with Week 1 of the High School season. Class A is definitely the toughest of the bunch. Bishop Maginn and Lansingburgh are strong again, Burnt Hills has the best QB in the area in Paul Layton and don't ever ignore Amsterdam. Glens Falls is in that second tier with Gloversville and Averill Park. Glens Falls also has a brutal road schedule. They opened with Lansingburgh, and they head to Amsterdam and Burnt Hills later in the season. I also think C North is going to be rough again. Schuylerville is primed to make another run. They blanked Corinth, but Corinth made some mistakes that cost them the game. Hoosick Falls got off to a fast start beating Cambridge, who just reloads. There is a sleeper team and that's the Golden Horde of Granville who knocked off Stillwater. You have to feel for the teams in D North. With Lake George ineligible for post season play, there's only 3 division games. Right now Whitehall and Warrensburg are behind the eight ball after only one game. Warrensburg's playoff hopes could be down the tubes after this weekend if they lose to Salem. Moving on to the NFL, where the Jets and Bills are salivating and thinking division title now that Tom Brady will be on the shelf healing. Big deal, you beat the Dolphins and Seahawks. I'll still put my money on Bill Belichick and the Pats to win the division no matter who their QB is. I'm hoping the Pack beats the Vikings tonight. The Vikings are getting a lot of love because of Adrian Peterson and Jared Allen. The only way I become sold on the Vikes is if Fran Tarkenton or Tommy Kramer starts at QB for them and that's not gonna happen. Tavares Jackson, I don't think so. By the way, is it just me or do the Minnesota boys have some ugly looking uniforms. They're giving the Titans a run for their money in the ugly uni department. As a fan of both the Mets and Giants, my biggest fears are coming from the city of Philadelphia. The Phillies line-up is the best in the National League and the Eagles have too much talent on both sides of the ball. Now onto some random thoughts of nothing. People tell me I have to eat more vegetables. Unfortunately all the vegetables I like are bad for me. Peas, corn, butternut squash, eggplant, white potatoes. What's next sweet potatoes? That's probably on the list too. Here are two people that I like but for some reason most everybody else can't stand: Bryant Gumbel and Nancy Grace. Mutley is the coolest cartoon dog ever drawn. Better than Scooby Doo, Astro Jetson, Huckleberry Hound, etc. Has anyone ever eaten a Yodel's snack cake by taking off the chocolate coating first, then unraveling it? There is something odd in seeing Dick Vitale in the same Basketball Hall of Fame class as Patrick Ewing, Pat Riley, Adrian Dantley, William Davidson, and Hakeem Olajuwon. Why is it that even if you own a copy of a movie on DVD, you'll still watch it when it's on TV? If you make a S'more with a chocolate bar that has nuts in it, is it still considered a S'more?...Leccese out.

No comments: