Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Ready or not its time for some football and other observations

Hi There. Its September 2nd and once again I have to ask those questions that always come up this time of year. Where did the summer go, and is the track really closed til next July? The past week was spent visiting high schools watching practices, talking to coaches, and preparing for football season. I saw 12 teams scrimmaging over a period of 12 hours Saturday. I guess when your not married or dating you can do that without any of the consequences or dirty looks you'll get from the wife or girlfriend. (Sorry Pete Tobey, I feel your pain.) Watching practices and scrimmages this time of year you're not looking for breakout performances, you look for little things that might give you a feel on what you can expect during the regular season. Here some initial impressions on some of the teams I was able see.
Greenwich, Warrensburg, and Granville are short on numbers so if one or two injuries occur it might spell doom for the season.
Fort Edward maybe better than expected, but its important that their sophomores and freshmen contribute right away. Tyler Carpenter will have big year for the Forts.
Lake George has everybody back and they should be better. I felt they didn't tackle well in the scrimmages Saturday night. They've got a great starting backfield with Caleb Merosky and Jake Nelson.
Glens Falls and Corinth maybe the best teams locally. They both have tough openers on the road. The Indians head to Lansingburgh and Corinth plays at Schuylerville so this will be a real good test for both squads.
Hudson Falls has the potential to be very good. I know Joe McMurry is back and the line is big and tough, but there are other unknowns that haven't made me sold on Tigers just yet.
Queensbury if they can find the backs to make the Double Wing work, they may surprise some people. However, John Irion told me he has some concerns about the depth on the O-line. He wishes he had more of it. I was caught off guard when I saw the blue helmets they were wearing. It's going to take a little time getting used to.
South Glens Falls has to play some big time D. They lost 70 percent of their offense to graduation. Having Joe Collier and Mustafa Choukier in the backfield is a start. If the offense can come together, you never know.
Whitehall has decent numbers and it looked like they've abandoned the double wing for a more wide open spread offense. D North is wide open.
and finally there's Spa Catholic who might steal a game or two. Unlike Hoosick Valley and Cairo-Durham who were bigger schools, the Saints join the D ranks in their first year of Varsity since the 80's.
I've been talking about the construction at GF High of Putt LaMay field all summer long, well during my travels I discovered that other schools have done improvements to their football fields as well. Fort Edward tore up its old field and put in some beautiful new grass. It will be ready for the home opener on September 20th and it has the potential to be as nice as HG Moran Field. Also South Glens Falls has installed new bleachers and a new press box to improve the viewing pleasure of the Bulldog faithful.
Now to get away from football and on to other things. After reading CE Skidmore's column Saurday in the Post Star, I think "Black Coffee in Bed" is a much better Squeeze song than "Tempted."
You think after what happened to Dick Cheney, John McCain would have thought more carefully than choosing a running mate whose hobbies include hunting?
Is anyone paying attention the US Open Tennis or the PGA Tours' FedEx Cup? I didn't think so either.
When I buy a bag of Hershey's Miniature's, I eat the Mr Goodbars or the Krackels first.
Is there any way that CBS could bump up its season premiers of its Monday night comedies? The water cooler has gotten a little dusty and I need a fix of "Big Bang Theory" and "How I Met Your Mother." Leccese out.

No comments: